Minimum work over winter

newboult51

Visit site
I have posted before about the problems I’m having with my 4 year old bucking in canter transition. Rather than tackling this problem head on at this stage (admittedly I’m being a wuss) would there be any harm in having a very quiet winter with the occasional hack and just leaving the problem to deal with in spring with some lessons and help then?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Nope, none whatsoever so long as you have reasonable turnout. Mine is almost but not quite broken to drive and my life is a bit crazy, so shes chucked out on a big hilly field being a horse until things are on a more even keel.

Reactions: DD

mariew

Visit site
Hacking is good, but you need turnout or you risk having a fairly eventful hack every time you get on unless you have an utter saint of a horse. Personally, if you can't get regular, consistent work in over winter, you're probably better off just leaving it to spring as winter can be fairly challenging anyway.

Fiona

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't, as the problem would magnify and grow in my mind all winter, and become possibly more of a problem than it is.

That's possibly just me though....

When you say hacking, is this off road hacking involving canter?? Or is it slower hacking?

Does horse have good turnout, if he is having the winter nearly 'off'?

I'd be tempted to book 2-3 lessons over the next couple of weeks, and try to crack the problem with a good instructor, and then give the winter off....

Good luck though with whatever you decide, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer as such :)

Fiona

SadKen

Visit site
Is there anything to be said for a spot of lunging in between the hacks, to see if improved balance and riderless practice helps with the transitions? I haven't read the other threads so apologies if this has been covered.

Otherwise I would potentially keep hacking at the weekend - ideally with a canter or two uphill (it's harder to buck uphill!).

holeymoley

Visit site
I don’t see any problem with that. When my boy was a youngster and had school issues(basically wouldn’t go in a school as had been whipped before in it for being naughty, he was only 3:() we noticed eventually once we got him in that he was clearly unbalanced as you’d expect and bucked in canter too. I done as much hacking as I could with him (that’s another story) but basically any cantering was done uphill and in a straight line. I really do think this helped. I’m not sure how much of that you’ll be able to do in the winter though.

newboult51

Visit site
I can hack probably at most twice a week - mainly on road so it’d be walk and trot. The school were I keep him is waterlogged every time it rains so the opportunity for schooling will be severely limited during winter. Lunging sounds like a good idea though not sure if he’s ever been lunged before.

Molasses

Visit site
I have a 4 year old who's having a very quiet winter,
I don't have a school and only see them in the dark during the week due to work.
Where's the harm? He'll have a fun mini-school or short hack on the weekends. And my ground in winter means I'm largely confined to walk/trot in the field if I don't want to cut things up and the bridleways can get very boggy too if we get a wet winter so I'll rarely be cantering.

As long as you're teaching them good skills as a 4 year old like - good to stand at mounting block, good to tie up, well mannered for everyone including vet and farrier and they knows how to stop and go, turn and move sideways when asked from the saddle. I don't think a quiet winter is any harm at all.

Polos Mum

Visit site
You could hack a couple of times a week until say Xmas then personally I'd give him a good couple of months completely off. 4y/o is really young, a break will do no harm and might let him recover from a little niggle or two if that's causing you a problem, let him relax and maybe physically mature a bit.

If he is silly hacking a little then I'd given him 3-4 months off and get started again properly when you have time/ facilities /daylight.

I wouldn't start something I couldn't properly finish at this time of the year.

ImmyS

Visit site
My 4 year old had a few niggles in the school earlier this year, namely rushing and panicking on right rein in canter. I tackled the issue, then did a few fun things like beach rides, hacks and one day xc schooling and he’s now on holiday from ridden work. I think if I was going into winter with problems I probably wouldn’t have tackled it as others have said, I would give some time off and come back to it when you have more time, the problem is unlikely to get worse whilst he’s on holiday and it means you can be more consistent when you do come round canterwork on the school. Even though mine technically has no ‘issues’ now I didnt feel riding once a week or so would be beneficial at his age and stage in education. He’s turned out 24/7, I walk him out in hand 2-3 times a week for a decent distance as his turnout isn’t huge and also in the hope that he’ll keep a basic level of fitness but can grow and mature a bit without the physical or mental challenge of carrying a rider also.

Micky

Visit site
I suspect a winter of turnout and hacking in walk and a bit of trot and a bit more growing and strengthening may well help the problem without any need to tackle it head on. I would invest in a winter of in hand physio exercises (stretches, walking over poles etc) plus hilly walk hacks. And worry about canter later.
This...give him the winter off to think on what he’s learnt already..no rush, he’s still a baby.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
This...give him the winter off to think on what he’s learnt already..no rush, he’s still a baby.

This, there is no rush and as he grows and develops over the winter it is very likely that any problems will have disappeared by the time you are ready to ride again.

ThreeWBs

Visit site
I have a 4yo WB who was backed this summer. He hacks in company and alone (with walker). In the school I aimed for W, T and small canters. Both trot and canter were unbalanced and wobbly, but did improve. At that point, I achieved what I set out for, and since the end of Oct he's been turned away. I am a firm believer that 4yo's need a break to process things, to have fun, grow and mature without the pressure of work. It's likely that your 4yo will be unbalanced and confused by canter at this stage. Give him a break and it's likely you won't have an issue when you bring him back into work.

indie1282

Visit site
Is he bucking only in the school in canter? Could be pain related or could be just him being young and unbalanced.

If you have done the usual teeth,saddle etc...then I would hack out over the winter as much as possible. Do you have access to any off road riding? If so I would try to introduce canter there as most horses naturally offer it and then see how it goes.

Equi

Visit site
At 4 i wouldn't mind it at all, then start back fresh in the spring. Gives them a break to grow and mature a little.

dorsetladette

Visit site
At 4 (IMHO) I think the best thing you can do is start them, then turn them away for a while to grow up and think about what they've learnt. Gives them the chance to come back in the spring a little older and more developed.