Mint for ulcers

dixie

Visit site
MINT - has anyone found that mint has helped their horse with hindgut ulcers?

I’ve been treating my boy with various products with Ron Fields powder being the most successful but still not 100%.
He started Succeed about 3 weeks ago. However I was also feeding him mint to make his meals more palatable which I ran out of about 10days ago. the few days before he started the SucceEd I would say he was perfect (It didn’t last long)
However he’s been gradually getting worse again and the only thing that’s changed is that I’ve ran out of mint.
So it’s made me wonder if that’s the key to him. Obviously I’ll get some more to see but wondered if anyone had this experience ?

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
My horse gets dried peppermint in the feed as colic prone as does my sisters who is ulcer prone. Some of the benefits to feeding are:-
The oil has a cooling, soothing and anesthetic effect on the smooth muscles of the stomach and intestines, which makes it one of the key herbs to choose when dealing with horses prone to colic, gastric or duodenal ulceration, smooth muscle spasm, trapped gas, digestive cramping or poor appetite.
Hope this helps

dixie

Visit site
Yes thanks.
I've managed to buy some at our feed merchants today, so I'll re-start it again and see if he improves.
He was really grumpy last night to brush, so really hope this helps and makes him happier and that the other couple of days weren't one offs.

Leo Walker

Visit site
When I had duodenal ulcers mint really helped me. It didn't cure them, but it definitely soothed them. I also find if I feel sick mint really helps then as well.

PSD

Visit site
Not sure if you have seen my laminitis post with my mare but she is on a lot of medication at the moment and I think it upset her guts (she had grade 4 ulcers last year) and I think they meds have made her ulcers return as she stopped eating and was really not well.

I have since added mint to her speedy beet and it has improved her. She’s eating and seems less “ulcery” however I’m by no means saying they’re gone or even that they’ve returned but it has improved her by feeding mint.