miracle baby

davard

Visit site
I now believe in miracles. my mare was covered by a stallion 2 wks before she had major colic surgery. I nearly lost my mare. 10 mths later i noticed she had changed shape, i just put it down to her being so poorly. my mates convinced me that she could be pregnant, although the vet said there was no hope. I took a blood test to rull it out, to my surprise she was pregnant, she gave birth a mth later to a healthy filly. shes now almost 16 mths old now and is a pain in the bum lol.. thought id share some pics..
picture.php
picture.php
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

This is the sire. Mitcheltroy welsh prince
picture.php

growing up quickly!!
picture.php
[/IMG][/IMG]

davard

Visit site
definately. my mare had less than 5% chance of survival. When I called the vet to tell them my news, he said it is not possible and asked if I had covered her after her operation. I remember that day i picked her up from the vets after her op. The vet aid dont wasteyour money getting her scanned because there is no chance she is pregnant. when i found out she was pregnant, i was in total shock and worried that there would be complications, but she did it all without a hitch. now i have a headstrong youngster to deal with. but I wouldnt have it any other way.

flaxen

Visit site
Thats poor on your vets part to say that there was no chance of her still being in foal and should have reccommended that you have her scanned when appropriate to make sure. We did colic surgery on a tb broodmare twice in 5 days and all thought she wouldnt make it but she did and went on to foal a full term colt foal with no problems and was put back in foal. This mare despite being worth a lot of money wasnt treated any differently to any other surgical colics that we did.

davard

Visit site
Wow that's a miracle. I always thought they couldn't have foals if they have had colic surgery because of the chance of further colic x

haras

Visit site
Fabulous News!

I too have a 15 month old filly out of a mare that had a full colic surgery with resection when she was three months in foal. Vets weren't overly hopeful for foals survival, and treated the mare as they would any other.

Filly is now 15 months and totally fine. I've been told I can breed from my mare again, but have chosen not to, for fear of it complicating anything.

My girls story was in Horse magazine earlier this year. Its nice to hear of someone else who has a similar story.

Heres some pics of my own miracle.

Three days old.
Jazmineday3outside076.jpg

12 months old
jazandchamp28thmay201042.jpg

First show at 14 months old
newforestshow2012007.jpg

Heres mum almost 2 years on
showjuly0122.jpg

Enfys

Visit site
Wow that's a miracle. I always thought they couldn't have foals if they have had colic surgery because of the chance of further colic x

After my 5 yo mare had colic surgery at Rossdales (she was also laid off at the time because of a tendon injury) they said it would be fine to put her in foal, in fact beneficial. Tendon injury in september, colic surgery Jan 1st, bred in the May - fine healthy colt the next April.

I had that mare until she was 17, she never had another colic (or tendon issue) in all that time, went on to have 4 foals and a very active hunting/ endurance life.

OP, Lovely looking foal, and growing up nicely :)

mynutmeg

Visit site
My mare's at the start of this - she was scanned in foal at about 20 days then as the scan was finishing she choked (was using food to get her to stand) and ended up in the Dick vets on IV gentimicine, metronidozole, penicillin, and frusimide not to mention all the sedatives used, a temp of 39+ for 3 days all due to developing pneumonia from aspirating fluid and no-one thought she had any chance of keeping the foal at all although we were advised to scan her in a couple of weeks to be sure. Her first post-illness scan showed fluid but they couldn't find an embryo so was rescanned again another couple of weeks later and there's a nice looking embryo there. All the vets were amazed but somehow she's kept the pregnancy so next may should be fun now :)

davard

Visit site
Ahh fantastic, I hope her pregnancy goes well. It's so strange how delicate some pregnancies are and they can lose them from stress but yet they can keep infoal after almost dying and being pumped full of drugs.. Crazy x