Mirrors in horse box

AshTay

Visit site
My mare is an ok traveller but does seem quite nervous about it all and I'd like to do all I can to make the experience as stress-free as possible.
I've ordered some of that self-adhesive "mirror on a roll" stuff to put in my 3.5t van conversion as have read there is evidence that mirrors reduce stress. But then I'm worried that it might do the opposite. I saw on another thread that a member who (I think) has an arab has had success with a mirror and that has reassured me but does anyone have any other views.

Also, has anyone tried the self-adhesive stuff and does it work as well as a better quality mirror?

Thanks all!

Dizzleton

Visit site
I bought some self adhesive mirror on a roll a while back and what a waste of time! The 'mirror' was so distorted it barely made the shape of a horse.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I've had mirrors work for two mares now. One in the stable and one in the trailer.

No experience with mirror on a roll stuff, I use normal stable mirrors. i'd blue tack it up and see what neddy thinks before fixing it permanently :)

L&M

Visit site
Sorry but have also tried the roll on stuff and was a complete waste of money - impossible to put on without wrinkles or bumps, which then distorts the mirror effect.

I speak from experience as also tried to put it up in my 3.5 van and wish I had just bought a normal mirror!

Malteaser

Visit site
I bought the cheap plastic type mirror from ebay and it does the job as well as a real mirror. My horse is definitely more settled travelling with her 'friend'.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Hi,

I tried the cheap plastic stuff to see if Jay liked it, and he LOVED it. The effect was good enough for him to make out his "friend" as long as he was close enough, but from more than a foot away it was rubbish.

As he loved his "friend" we bought new mirrors from Metal Offcuts, they do stainless steel ones. For the box and stable they are great. In the arena not so good, the image is distorted from about 15 feet away.

The funniest thing is when he stands and uses his mirror to see further into the yard. He really "gets" his mirror.

The first time he had it in the lorry he whinnied when out back in the box - bless!