Miss Pepper in Bum Breitlingh @ Work

Four Seasons

Visit site
Long time ago since I put pics of Breitlingh up on here. Not been able to ride much due to weather and putting my other mare to sleep.:(

But Breitlingh is back and she has improved A LOT! Very very pleased. Today was our first lesson since.... October(?) last year. So I will be very stiff tomorrow... very much looking forward to that.

At first Breitlingh would run for her life if I even thought about using my inside leg or ask her for an extended trot. Did you know that the animal "Leg" is very dangerous and unpredictable? Apparantly it is able to eat the side of your horse. Na, just kiddin'. But this is what Breitlingh thought of it. :D

Now, after months of training, she has finally accepted that my legs won't get her killed and that my legs get her to do something very very exciting! Breitlingh can now go sideways (leg yield, shoulder in, travers) and when she starts, she doesn't stop. So sometimes I end up casually going sideways through the arena. Pyscho horse!

Today was very much focussed on leg yielding, shoulder in and travers. And at the end, we did a walk pirouette and Miss Smarty Pants got it in one go! Chapeau chapeau to her! The harder it gets, the more easier is it for her. Bred for higher level dressage? Naaa, never.:p

Here are some pics and a vid of le Breitlingh.

We start off with a walk
BreitlinghLes-Maart2013016.jpg

Leg yield
BreitlinghLes-Maart2013011.jpg

Shoulder in
BreitlinghLes-Maart2013006.jpg

BreitlinghLes-Maart2013010.jpg

BreitlinghLes-Maart2013001.jpg

BreitlinghLes-Maart2013009.jpg

BreitlinghLes-Maart2013014.jpg

BreitlinghLes-Maart2013002.jpg

BreitlinghLes-Maart2013012.jpg

BreitlinghLes-Maart2013015.jpg

And a vid!
Click for vid!

dressagelove

Visit site
Thought I hadn't seen any updates for a while! Sorry about your other horse :(
Breitlingh looking brill though, shes gorgeous, doesn't look like you've not had a lesson since Oct!

nikkimariet

Visit site
She looks much more relaxed than the last time you posted about her :)

And sorry to hear about Ruby.

Only question - can I ask about your saddle? Do you like it? It's just that, to me, in my humblest of humble opinions, I don't think it's helping your riding at all. Noticed it in your last post about B too.

Sympathy with having a super sharp, hot, over reactive to the leg horse, but your leg is completely away from her sides in the pics and the vid. It's understandable (or excusable, I guess) that she is over reactive to the leg, when you're not using it, not using it, not using it, holy hell leg is on omg must shoot forwards at a million miles an hour!!!

Have you thought about a monoflap? I made the change to one, and am able to keep my leg flush with Figs side. Fig has been much much more accepting of my leg since doing so.

It might not be an option for you, I might be misinterpreting the situation, or missing something behind the scenes, but just my thoughts.

Four Seasons

Visit site
The saddle is absolutely perfect! I just still tend to push my legs way off her, as I still think she wil over-react, but all she does now is tail swish.

I'll look on the monoflap, have no clue what it is :p Maybe I might be able to get rid of my annoying sticky out legs!

nikkimariet

Visit site
The saddle is absolutely perfect! I just still tend to push my legs way off her, as I still think she wil over-react, but all she does now is tail swish.

I'll look on the monoflap, have no clue what it is :p Maybe I might be able to get rid of my annoying sticky out legs!

Well if it works for you then that's all that matters :)

Don't let her trick you into riding too quietly, it'll only bite you in the butt later on! PS reminded me recently, non too gently lol, that I need to make sure I'm using my leg and not just releasing him through my hands. It'll only teach him to run through the contact, and shy away from my leg when I do use it.

Monoflap = saddle with single flap. Here's the saddle I have for reference: http://www.yourhorse.co.uk/upload/27258/images/Equipe Emporio dressage saddle.jpg

viceversa

Visit site
Definitely agree with nikkimariet re. legs being away from sides of horse etc.
However, she is really gorgeous, and looking quite relaxed :)
And very sorry to hear about your other horse!