Missed vaccination advice needed

spacie1977

Visit site
I'm furious! I have my horse on full livery and use the same vets as the yard owner. My horse was due to have his annual vaccinations before the end of January but I was going on holiday so asked if the YO could arrange for it to be done. YO said she'd sort it out. I also text the vet to let them know the YO was going to arrange it, just in case they needed my ok to do it, or YO forgot (she can be flakey). I've just come back from holiday and called the vets to question them over invoices and it turns out my horse wasn't vaccinated. I'm so angry! Apparently he's now got to go through a whole course of jabs again which will take 6 months to a year, AND I can't take him to shows until the full course is complete. Grrr! I need to call the YO but just too angry at the moment.
can anyone tell me if it's ALL shows he'll be exempted from, including small local hunter trials? Also, if I move him to another yard, does he have to wait until he's finished the full course of vaccinations? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as he's my first horse so I'm not totally clued up on it all.

Bryndu

Visit site
Hi,
Sorry to hear this...
If you go on the British Riding Clubs website and click on rule book....look for the section about flu vacs...there is a bit on there about NOT having to revaccinate if your horse is a certain age...worth a look?
Also...I understand...that you can compete having had the initial injection as long as it is over 7 days before the competition...should you need to start again.
Good luck
Bryndu

p.s it would only be comps run under affiliated rules which demand vacs...which you would have issue with. At your local hunter trial...you may well be the only one with a jabbed horse...LOL:)

Last edited:

putasocinit

Visit site
It doesnt have to take 6 months you can get them done in the shortest time frame allowed, i think first jab you then have up to 21 to 90 days before the 2nd one is due so you could get the 2nd one done on the 21st day and so on. Competing should be as long as horse has had 2. Also i would argue the case he was fully uptodate but missed his booster, not like he is years behind in his flu vacs.

So frustrating esp if you dont take your horse anywhere and it is over 15 yo and vet has said it only needs tetnus vacs up todate but livery yards insist on flu vacs.

paulineh

Visit site
Taken from the BHS booklet

. The record must show that the horse has received TWO injections for PRI- MARY vaccination against equine influenza given no less than 21 DAYS and no more than 92 DAYS apart. (Only these first two injections need to have been given before the horse may compete).

This shows that you could have the horse vaccinated today and 22 days later have the second one done.

I would also speak to your YO and ask them why they allowed this to happen. I personally would not be happy, yet again you could have had the horse done before you went on holiday.

spacie1977

Visit site
Thankyou for the info. Yes I should've arranged for it to be done before I went on holiday, it would've saved me a lot of stress!

Anyway, there is a happy ending. Having calmed down from the stress pot I was when I first posted this thread, I called the vet directly on her mobile to double check she got the text as the accounts department said it wasn't done. She assures me the vaccination was done but she forgot to tell the accounts to invoice for it. Doh!!! Talk about making me go grey for nothing! Glad I double checked before having a moan at the vet and YO!

But still very useful to have all the info given here so thank you so much for all your responses. And yes I will be arranging it waaaay before my holiday next time! Now off to dye over my grey hairs! :)

Dry Rot

Visit site
Thanks, OP, for this thread. Another in a cold sweat about the third vaccination (missed by a few days) but in my case due to procrastination and an allergy to parting with money!

spacie1977

Visit site
That's actually the important question. Check the passport today and make sure everything is in order.

Hmmm ... I don't know TarrSteps. The YO keeps hold of the passport so I'll have to ask her. It's just occurred to me if the vet forgot to record the date and vaccine batch number I've still got a problem. It is possible she could've forgotten as the vaccine wasn't the main reason she was called out, she was visiting for other things. Oh dear, I feel another hair turning grey! :-(

Dry Rot you made me giggle :)

Capriole

Visit site
Hmmm ... I don't know TarrSteps. The YO keeps hold of the passport so I'll have to ask her. It's just occurred to me if the vet forgot to record the date and vaccine batch number I've still got a problem. It is possible she could've forgotten as the vaccine wasn't the main reason she was called out, she was visiting for other things. Oh dear, I feel another hair turning grey! :-(

Dry Rot you made me giggle :)

She can still fill it in, don't worry.

I woke up in a cold sweat the other night with that stomach lurching feeling that I'd missed a vaccination date for 5 or 6 horses and I had to get up and look at my database :lol: I hadn't.

(I also had a wtf moment the other day when I was transferring vacc details from my diary to my database. I had written down (e.g) Vacc. Ann. Snowy. Dobbin. Neddie. Trigger...etc etc...I was thinking Ann? Ann? WhoTF is Ann?
Then realised it was abbreviated from Annual. Doh! :D :D )