Missed vaccination advice

BuzzyBea

Visit site
I'm kicking myself but have somehow managed to miss our boys vaccination date! In my head it's due in December but then realised it was 29/8 - such an idiot!! :O
Phoned vets who told me he is still covered immunity wise but for the show ring he needs to restart.
We don't do anything other than local unaffiliated bits and pieces plus clinics etc.
Question is to start all over again with vaccinations or not worry and carry on with annual?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If the vet has told you that for immunity he is still covered, it's a no brainer to me. Why would you want to pay for an unnecessary vet visit and have extra goodness-knows-what introduced into your horse's body, with all the possible downsides of that? Just book him in for the next annual booster.

Antw23uk

Visit site
If the vet has told you that for immunity he is still covered, it's a no brainer to me. Why would you want to pay for an unnecessary vet visit and have extra goodness-knows-what introduced into your horse's body, with all the possible downsides of that? Just book him in for the next annual booster.

This. It makes my bloody boil that if i wanted to (and I've been asked) to do RC competition 'stuff' .. that's about as knowledgeable as i am about the whole teams thing!....... I would need to get my horses re started because I had boosters done a month late!

I read some interesting articles about vaccinations and how they are actually designed to last years more than we are told and that actually the yearly booster is a bit of a scam!

Otherwise

Visit site
If you think you'll ever do any BRC qualifiers then restart, every year there's always a couple we have to eliminate as vaccinations a couple of years ago are out by a month or even a day. Riding clubs are the only time my vaccinations have been checked rigorously, they will check if the initial ones were done within the correct time period and that every booster was within a year of the previous one.

Shay

Visit site
You'll get checked at unaffiliated national championships too - and pony club. And it isn't just for this year. If you just carry on the gap will get you eliminated even years later. Yes it might be a money making scam on the part of the drugs companies. But it is also the rules. In your place I would re-start.

Branna

Visit site
As above, if you ever want to do RC teams you will have to restart. The rules are the same for all affiliated competition yet I have never had flu vacs checked BE,BD,BS... but RC have checked diligently every single time.

Julia0803

Visit site
We had this this summer. I thought I’d noted in the disryvthe date to ring vets and arrange... it wasn’t, it was the date they were due...

As he does PC camp etc with my son we had to redo them. I swapped vet practices for the jabs as another local practice does free call out days so saved myself the £45 call out fee x 3, and just paid the £30ish per jab.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I had to restart Max so he could compete for PC and BRC. Vets said there was no clinical advantage to restarting but rules are rules. It was very annoying. Pedantic red tape. Grrr.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
As above, if you ever want to do RC teams you will have to restart. The rules are the same for all affiliated competition yet I have never had flu vacs checked BE,BD,BS... but RC have checked diligently every single time.

I had mine checked at BE but that was yonks ago. more often for 3 days when were were all stabling. And I was pulled for a random drugs test at BD once and they looked at the vaccs then too ;)
But agree, it's RC that have been real sticklers over it. I would also restart just in case you want to do any shows where they follow the same rules. One of mine went overdue because I was totally distracted with other life stuff and we had to start over.
I think things also get tightened up if there are outbreaks of diseases, I remember competing when there was that big rise of EHV-1 a few years ago and people were much more interested in vaccinations etc being up together then, it's not inconceivable that we could have something similar again.

I have travelled mine over to the practice a few times to have their jabs then there's no callout :)

ihatework

Visit site
If you are planning affiliated or PC/RC teams then restart, but if it’s just local regular unaff then it really doesn’t matter as just do booster now

DD

Visit site
I did a similar thing this year. thought the vacs were due this year only to find I was a whole year out. (tetanus vac). after speaking to vets decided not to restart just had boosters done.

BuzzyBea

Visit site
Thanks all so much for your comments!! Frustrating isn't it and to be honest i'm surprised that the vets don't send reminders like my dogs vets do!!
Much as I am loathe to put more drugs in his body than I am sure is necessary I don't want to be in a position in years to come to potentially be eliminated due to my own stupidity.
Looks like we're starting again...!!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I get a card off my vets with the date for each horse (I just got completely distracted that time) ... maybe suggest it to them ! :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I just restarted mine this year, I did the same as you! Had a date in my head which it transpires was the wrong date!!
Horse is on loan and part of the (out of date but I still stick too!) contract states his passport has to be kept correctly stamped and boosters to date.
For my own I’d probably not worry too much, the retired ones my vet actually told me not to worry anymore.

elliejhb

Visit site
A lady I shared a yard with missed hers by a day so had to restart as the pony was off to POYS a few weeks later. We did query what happens with leap years....
My boy is 20 & had a replacement passport in his teens and it has been questioned previously if he's had his full lot or whether we need to restart, as he's semi retired & doesn't go anywhere I'm happy to do the boosters each year.

Kikke

Visit site
You ca just get on with it. Problem is if you ever change your mind and want to do riding club or affiliated stuff they are not right and you will have to start all over then and there, same with ever selling your horse. I have one like that and even-though it was several years since the missed vaccinations it wasn't right and had to re-start. big pain. If you haven't got anything major planned I would do it now and get it right!!

conniegirl

Visit site
We did query what happens with leap years.....

As the time between vaccines is calculated in days for competition purposes leap years are taken into account there, so if you vaccinated on the 3rd of March in year 2019 then to keep your vaccines in date you have to vaccinate on or before the 2nd of March 2020 as 2020 is a leap year.

I have known people sent home from events due to mistakes with leap years and there are always a few each year who get the vaccines wrong for events like HOYS etc.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Frustrating to say the least, but you would be gutted to get through to an important class only to be eliminated.

My vet is really good with reminders, text and emails sent.