Missing bantams

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have 3 dear little bantam hens Betty, Edna and Edith.
OH bought them as chicks for me ages ago. They are really pretty funny little things, they mix in with the dogs and cats and live in the garden, although they do go out in the farm as well. They come to call (at speed)
Went to shut them in last night and just noticed they were too quiet. Opened the side door to look in and it was empty :(
I’ve been leaving in the morning early so open their door before daylight and they get up when it’s light. So I don’t really know if they came out yesterday am.
We searched everywhere last night. Hoping they had got out of the garden and the gate was shut so they couldn’t get back in but no sign. Occasionally that happens but they sit at the gate waiting for it to be opened.
I can’t even remember seeing them around at all yesterday.
Gutted. I really expected them to be here when it got light today.
No feathers around, no sign of anything. The other hens are all still here and fine. :’(

Cavalier

Visit site
Are you near a stream and do you have mink in the area? I lost 4 runner ducks one day, all that was found was 2 feathers and a tiny piece of bone

ETA roosting in trees is a good shout

JackFrost

Visit site
Look up. What Sparky Lily says. They fly up to the lowest branches then jump up the tree to get to the top.

I once had a bantam go missing for 3 months. I assumed the worst and got on with life until a local farmer a quarter of a mile away telephoned and said 'I've got your chicken'.
I assured him it couldn't be mine, but went round anyway, and yes it was mine and it had happily looked after itself all that time.

It is a big risk to open up before proper daylight or once it starts to get dark, do find a way to avoid it.

Burnttoast

Visit site
I do hope you find them or they just turn up. Chickenguard make reasonably user-friendly auto doors that work off a light sensor or timer - they've been brilliant for us particularly in the summer when I don't get to the field till well after dawn. Fingers crossed for you x

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve never really thought of the opening before daylight. They are in the garden in the back of the garage and the dogs would be outside from me leaving to Mr P leaving so Id be 99.9% certain they are safe at that point.

Checked the few trees close, they are fairly small and pretty bare, can’t see anything

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Not from the coop, as above it’s too close to the house. Even the cat can’t get across without security lights all coming on and the dogs would go nuts if someone was in the garden over night. They are right by the back door and hear everything.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I "lost" one of my bantams not too long ago. I found her in my large shed a day later. I guess the door was cracked just enough? I looked for her in there, but I guess she was hiding and rather quiet!

So aside from them being in some obscure location... I'm not sure. 🙁

I do hope they turn up.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thanks!
My only hope now I think is that once, ages ago they went broody and started laying in a hedge. They didn’t get up to eat and I had to go and carry them off for food and to put to bed at night. Luckily I knew where they were laying but this time I’ve searched all the usual possibilities. I’m not sure all 3 would go suddenly broody overnight at the same time either.

JackFrost

Visit site
Birds of prey will take them, including full size hens. I've seen it twice. Unlikely to have taken all three, but they could have been spooked and run off.
If you think it could be birds of prey, protect the others.

Bantams are very unlikely to go broody at this time of year. But they are clever little things, and they may be back.

Do your bantams talk to you? If so go round the neighbourhood and call to them, they may answer.

Nicnac

Visit site
Oh that's sad. I have twice lost hens. One time there was no trace until my dog appeared from down the fields with a head in his mouth a couple of days later. Really hope you find them alive and well somewhere.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Birds of prey will take them, including full size hens. I've seen it twice. Unlikely to have taken all three, but they could have been spooked and run off.

Bantams are very unlikely to go broody at this time of year. But they are clever little things, and they may be back.

Do your bantams talk to you? If so go round the neighbourhood and call to them, they may answer.
I’ve been going round calling them a lot they do chatter away yes, If they could hear me they would come though.

marmalade76

Visit site

A buzzard swooped down on one of my spent hens once, just knocked her over, it shook itself then flew off again, seemed as though she wasn't what it expected her to be.