missing riding

impresario08

Visit site
Through both previous ill-health of horse and rider my boy is basically retired and was last ridden April 2017. However I am really getting an itch to get on board again. He is sound just arthritic (regularly sees physio). He is a flighty ex-racer so I'm tempted to get some riding lessons again. Has anyone been in a similar situation and dragged their poor unsuspecting horse back into work?!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yes, a friend did. It was also an ex racer. The horse was miserable and being difficult to handle when out of work and on limited winter grazing.

We started with just ground work, but she was such a steamed up horse I suggested allowing the horse a lunge to keep sane, knowing it was a risk, but handing her was also a risk at the time.

She had a light lunge a couple of times a week, and it was absolute making of her. Come summer she was brought back into work and loved it. Sound as a pound, glowing with condition.

The horse will only ever do a bit of tinkering on the school, not hard work, and hacking, again not hard work, but the horse much preferred to be in some work.

Lintel

Visit site
Just think of all the things you don't miss... such as the red human rain scald marks to your thighs after a 30 minute hack in the freezing cold rain and wind!

On a.more serious note I would find a good freelance instructor and start to pootle away with your boy:)
And pray for sun ;)

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Through both previous ill-health of horse and rider my boy is basically retired and was last ridden April 2017. However I am really getting an itch to get on board again. He is sound just arthritic (regularly sees physio). He is a flighty ex-racer so I'm tempted to get some riding lessons again. Has anyone been in a similar situation and dragged their poor unsuspecting horse back into work?!

Book an appointment with your vet for a lameness work up and see what they say about a bute trial or steroid injection depending where the source of arthritis is. Arthritic horses are better in low level exercise and lots of turnout providing they can be ridden pain free. I don't see why you couldn't ride your horse again providing a) your vet agrees b) the horse is pain free c) you keep sessions shorter and avoid certain surfaces that may aggravate your horses problems d) you come up with a sensible rehab programme. This might entail different shoeing and a different way of riding. Its better to ride shorter sessions regularly rather than 1 hour once a week if that makes sense.

My mare's nearly 23, has arthritis, has been treated by the vet for it, is on a sachet of bute everyday and is kept in work by hacking, usually 3-4 times a week in the winter but six days in the summer. Occasionally I will have a trot and canter for a couple of minutes in the school following a hack and I go on fun rides in the summer, I watch the surface and she is remedially shod. Recently my physio did a session with her and said she was pleased and couldn't find anything of note wrong with her at all which was good. She always has her ears forward on hacks, clearly enjoys them and is a pleasure to ride.

Only you and your vet know your horse, its history and whether this is a realistic goal or not. Your horse certainly isn't 'poor' and might be glad of a change of scenery and 'dragged back into work' again. :) Good luck x

Last edited:

impresario08

Visit site
Book an appointment with your vet for a lameness work up and see what they say about a bute trial or steroid injection depending where the source of arthritis is. Arthritic horses are better in low level exercise and lots of turnout providing they can be ridden pain free. I don't see why you couldn't ride your horse again providing a) your vet agrees b) the horse is pain free c) you keep sessions shorter and avoid certain surfaces that may aggravate your horses problems d) you come up with a sensible rehab programme. This might entail different shoeing and a different way of riding. Its better to ride shorter sessions regularly rather than 1 hour once a week if that makes sense.

My mare's nearly 23, has arthritis, has been treated by the vet for it, is on a sachet of bute everyday and is kept in work by hacking, usually 3-4 times a week in the winter but six days in the summer. Occasionally I will have a trot and canter for a couple of minutes in the school following a hack and I go on fun rides in the summer, I watch the surface and she is remedially shod. Recently my physio did a session with her and said she was pleased and couldn't find anything of note wrong with her at all which was good. She always has her ears forward on hacks, clearly enjoys them and is a pleasure to ride.

Only you and your vet know your horse, its history and whether this is a realistic goal or not. Your horse certainly isn't 'poor' and might be glad of a change of scenery and 'dragged back into work' again. :) Good luck x

that's great news about your mare x