Missing tear duct?!

lucy_108

Visit site
Rising 2 year old rescue pony (rescued over a year ago, came to me 8 months ago).
Struggled since we got him back in the spring/summer with weepy eyes - we tried all the eyedrops and ointments from the vets (steroidal, non steroidal) and vets had a really good look in his eyes with nothing to be found. Drops never really helped. Discharge was usually clear and watery, sometimes the odd white-yellowish bit of gunk would come out. Vet said if it wasn't bothering him to just see how he goes but potentially may need a tear duct flush. Controlled with a fly mask and regularly cleaning, never seemed to bother him and didn't get any worse.

Fast forward to today, vet came out for a tear duct flush and we discovered he has no tear duct on his left hand side - which explains a lot! My vet was stumped as she had never seen this before so I was wondering if anyone else had? And anything that was done to help?
At the moment the management plan is for him to wear a fly mask at all times when turned out and to continually clean out the eyes, but there is a slim chance we’ll avoid all infections. I’ve spent a fortune in drops and ointments already and I’m worried they will become less effective the more we use them… but I don’t really have many options!

Cragrat

Visit site
That is unusual!

Can you use distilled water day to day, or distilled Witch Hazel, and only use ointemtns when you have to? I think Optrex is Witch Hazel anyway.

ETA when mine had an eye prblem, I put Witch Hazel into a small spray bottle that could deliver a gentle mist rather than a squirt - she actually enjoyed having her eye misted then I could wipe it with gauze.