Mites and Clippers

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Little coblet has feather mites I think (it was mentioned when I got him they had given him the injections in March), vet is coming Friday to confirm and do the same.

He has his feathers off already but I've read that to keep on top of prevention I need to clip them every month and then wash them with shampoo and then use hibbiscrub or similar. Can I ask what you do?

I don't have any clippers so would need to buy some if every month he needed doing, so any recommendations for those as well please? And any tips for clipping legs (feather area only not full leg off).

Hopefully I have caught it before its caused him too much irritation.

This week is turning into an expensive one! Saddler, vet and dentist all in one week!

SEL

Visit site
I have to sedate to clip feathers off - but it really does help. I'll be interested in the clipper recommendations.

Ask your vet about an ivermectin based wash for the legs - it really does help. I use one of the dandruff shampoos, followed by the flea and tic shampoo for dogs then the wash. Sounds easy, but I tend to be soaked by the end of it with a very cross horse.

Are you already having dectomax injections? Even just normal worming seems to help my boy especially Equest.

Kaylum

Visit site
I used frontline spray on mine, clipped his feathers, changed his bedding to shavings and used pigoil and sulphur. Legs can get quite sore. Why are you using hibiscrub? It wont help with mites unfortunatley x

RHM

Visit site
With mine the vet had me wash his legs everyday with extremely salty water alongside the jabs. Didn’t need to clip. He hasn’t had them since touch wood!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I never have an issue with clipped legs and don't use products or treatments. The act of clipping them out seems to keep mites at bay.

I use masterclip clippers. The big cordless ones to take the thick of it off and then the smaller cordless trimmers to tidy up.

Sealine

Visit site
I use pig oil to prevent mites. It also helps to prevent mud fever and cracked heels. I apply it once a week in winter to clean, dry legs from the knee/hock down.

Please note pig oil is not made from pigs it is for pigs. I've lost count of the people who have told me they won't use it because they are vegetarian.

Edited to add: I would recommend a patch test.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I used frontline spray on mine, clipped his feathers, changed his bedding to shavings and used pigoil and sulphur. Legs can get quite sore. Why are you using hibiscrub? It wont help with mites unfortunatley x

Because I did a quick google Sunday when he presented with symptoms and this is what was suggested:

https://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/feather-mites-on-horses.html

As it was quite late in the day I needed to just try what I could.

He is on shavings at mine (I got him 3 weeks ago where he was on straw).

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Thanks all, will try a patch test of pig oil at some point.

First lot of injections with me on Friday but I know that he has had them with previous owner. His legs are clipped but definitely growing back so guess I need to clip again soon.

Will have a look at those clippers but possibly not in a position to buy this month!

:)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have a big cob with dreadful sallenders and mallenders. I bought her like it but wasn't totally aware of how tricky it is to manage. Her previous owners had allowed their yard manager to clip the scabs off which resulted in a horse that was terrified of the clippers and violent if anyone approached her sores. I have had for 7 years now and experimented with all sorts of lotions, potions and regimes. All relatively unsuccessful, but I have managed to get her to accept the clippers now, took years and a lot of bribery and kindness to make her realise I won't hurt her.

However this year I have had a break through - A1 blades on the clippers instead of A2's have made such a difference. Next to nothing left on the legs and the air can get to the skin. For the persistent sores behind her knee and on face of hock I use Farriersequine mallender cream every day. It is brilliant stuff if used consistently. She was shown this year and unless you touch her you would not know there are problems. Of course clipping with A1's leaves the legs exposed, I simply wipe her legs with pig oil just on a cloth. The mud doesn't stick and her legs stay clean.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
If you've not used Pig Oil & Sulphur on your horse before, then I'd advise strongly to do a 24-hr patch test as it can be very caustic.

I'm following this with interest: my two (cobs) have both got feather mites, I can't clip their legs without them going ballistic, so tend to wait for the vet to come when he does their teeth, and they're sedated, and take the opportunity to zip round with the clippers.

Edited: IF yours will let you clip, you may find it more economic to hire clippers, around here the price is about £35 per 24-hr period.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Pig oil is just mineral oil aka baby oil. Its the sulphur that can cause issues. I use a gel based baby oil on mine if I need to keep her clean. Its easier to use than pig oil.