Mites and itching Shetland

mcnaughty

Visit site
Hi all. We have a Shetland that is itching his neck. I have Been told to used front line spot on but I know it’s near useless on cats. Any suggestions? Mane and tail not itchy. I’ve also clipped him as we thought it could be heat sweat.

SEL

Visit site
I would go for a good bath with deosect and repeat for a couple of weeks - much easier if you've managed to clip. I have a draft who is struggling and will need sedating if we clip (& even then I'm not sure that coat is going to be straightforward)

Frontline spray is also pretty good.

mcnaughty

Visit site
Apologies, thought the suggestion to use Frontline was from the vet. How itchy is he on the neck?

Very itchy - he is rubbing little bald patches! He is 3 and we have just started his backing education and we thought he was getting hot and itchy so we clipped a high race (all of his neck and withers to stifle diagonal line and the itching seems to have got worse. I assume this is because the coat is no longer protecting the skin from his scratching. He is worst just behind the jaw line and has small patches all the way down his neck but not his mane or tail. His breeder recommend spot on but as I said, the flea spot on is nearly useless with cat fleas so was sceptical! I'm going to purchase some Deosect as this seems to be the most recommended course of action. I was wondering though whether I should be treating the stable too?

Nasicus

Visit site
Very itchy - he is rubbing little bald patches! He is 3 and we have just started his backing education and we thought he was getting hot and itchy so we clipped a high race (all of his neck and withers to stifle diagonal line and the itching seems to have got worse. I assume this is because the coat is no longer protecting the skin from his scratching. He is worst just behind the jaw line and has small patches all the way down his neck but not his mane or tail. His breeder recommend spot on but as I said, the flea spot on is nearly useless with cat fleas so was sceptical! I'm going to purchase some Deosect as this seems to be the most recommended course of action. I was wondering though whether I should be treating the stable too?

Could Neck Thread worms be something to look into if the Deosect doesn't work? I love Deosect myself, just don't buy a massive tin as if you don't use it, it will eat through the tin over time, as I unfortunately found out haha :)

Cecile

Visit site
I do know some equine breeders who use Coopers Spot on in the below link but I wouldn't ever use it on horses/ponies, I do use it on my sheep but it is licenced for sheep

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Coopers-Spot-On/productinfo/SPOTON/

No harm in making up a larger dose of Deosect and treating anywhere they have been scratching, a bottle spray would work well, I usually empty my stables in spring and jet wash them but its a case of everyone doing what they can in this weather. The 2 I had come in with lice were not in my stables but in a separate paddock with field shelter (I don't let new ones near my stables until I know they are healthy/safe) - I never done anything to the field shelter, just treated them with deosect, that was years ago and never seen anyone scratch since

Leo Walker

Visit site
With my big hairy cob he is just an itchy creature! He gets treated with Deosect, then inbetween times the front line spray, and then inbetween those with diatemous earth on legs only and the occasional wash with Dermoline insecticidal shampoo. He also gets washed down after work with a menthol slosh wash. Hes also completely clipped out. Its the clipping that makes the most difference, but the rest does help.