Mites causing a problem with a hairy cob....Help!!!!!!!!

pocket

Visit site
My friend owns a very hairy cob, lots of feather etc. She has to keep his legs trimmed due to mites. She has tried everything that the vet has suggested ie: benzobenzate (sp!), the children's nit stuff, lice powder etc etc etc, but nothing seems to help, he now has sore legs were he's been attacking them.

Any suggestions
confused.gif

Kat1e

Visit site
My hairy one had the same problem, got the vet to give an injection to clear it up. Think it was called dectamex. No problems since.

fairhill

Visit site
She could try using frontline spray to kill the mites, and using a moisturising cream on the sores - I use MSM cream where my hairy cob has rubbed herself raw. I also feed Feel Good 30 skin supplement as she has very flaky, dandruffy skin under her feathers and is prone to infections. This has made a real difference to her, and it has reduced the itchiness of her legs (it's supposed to be used for sweet-itch, but I figured the symptons were similar).

_daisy_

Visit site
my friend uses frontline on her hairy cob - she clipped his legs off since she bought him as he was really bad. Shes treated him every couple of days to start with, then every week or so. Hes absolutely great now. Shes also bought some deosect to see how that works.

pottamus

Visit site
Frontline is good but be careful about putting it on any sore bits as it is quite strong. The problem with mites is that they will be in the bedding too, so to get rid of them properly you need to clear your bedding out, disinfect and start a fresh...expensive but the only way to get rid once and for all. There is an injection you can get from your vet too that is supposed to be good.

Kelly1982

Visit site
My horse has mites on his front leg and the vet told me to hibi scrub it and then spray it with front line.

Be careful not to scrub it too hard though as the front line does really sting on the sore bits.

Annie&Amy

Visit site
My cob had these, Trim legs, spray with frontline if he won't tolerate this spary onto cotton wool and dab on. Get rid of all bedding and disinfect stable. You may also need antibiotics from vet in case he's got secondary infection. Keep sparying with frontline every two weeks or so to stop re-infestation. I've found since i've kept my girl trimmed she's not had them!! Touch wood xxx

suestowford

Visit site
My vet wouldn't give the Dectomax jab, she gave me a selenium-based dog shampoo. It worked OK I suppose, better than the Frontline did. The pony quite enjoyed the shampooing!

tiggie

Visit site
My cob was referred to Glasgow vet school with mites as he was in a dreadful state when we got him with large lumps and sores on his legs.They injected him with dectomax and got my own vet to inject him again after a few weeks to kill any remaining mites.I also had to have my other (slightly less hairy) horse treated in case the mites had spread and was advised to disinfect my stable and change from shavings to cardboard squares for bedding as the mites can live in the shavings.

allijudd

Visit site
we have this at the moemnt...i ve made my own mix which is working a treat...it is grapeseed oil, oil of lemon, citronella and tea tree with lots of fresh aloe vera..all liquidised together...brilliant.....

scrat

Visit site
Has your friend had a skin scraping to confirm it is mites? We have two hairy horses with full feathers and they like to itch their legs but I think it's just irritation from being hot and sweaty. I think that they are the type of horse that will scratch on anything handy just because they like it!! We use a mix of pig oil and sulpher to keep the skin on the legs in good condition and if you do a search of the forum I know there have been many posts about this. You could also try neem oil if it is mites this is a natural insecticide.

selina25

Visit site
ok benzelbenzate (serious sp) is the best stuff. I would shave his feathers then use the stuff liberally once or twice a day for three days that should do the trick. But it must be used throughly and no dose must be missed.......... dont worry winter is coming and the bliters will be dead soon