Mites in horses

meleeka

Visit site
This isn’t something I’ve ever had experience of, so I need advice about feather mites. I understand you can have an injection from the vet, but is this the only effective treatment? Horse isn’t too uncomfortable, just occasionally scratching a hind leg with the other one.

Chappie

Visit site
My loan cob sometimes got mites - at first I persuaded (with difficulty) the owner to get the injections - they worked but next winter came back. Researched and found neem shampoo, creams and equimins mite spray - £17 for 500ml but worked - and nettex feather mite powder seem to be keeping them away.

sport horse

Visit site
I bought a cob cross and he got mites and he passed them on to the sport horses. We injected with Dectomax regularly for about 2 years and we have never since had a problem - now nearly 10 years.

The Trooper

Visit site
I use Dectomax, once and then again in 10-14 days. I try to avoid bathing and shampooing as much as possible, particularly in winter. I like greasy coats for weatherproofness and worry that shampoo and the likes will strip that good, natural stuff out.