Mites

aran

community.webshots.com
hello
aran moved in to old pasture yesterday and this morning I found a few scabs on his heals. there are little orange dots near the scurfy bits to. I've never seen this before. The field has cows on one side and arable fields on the other. I was told they are harvest mites - is this right and what would you do about it?

Thank you

Bex7

Visit site
)
hiya aran,

I have no advice to offer but went to check Bert this evening and he is stamping his feet, I am also thinking Mites and would be interested to hear any advise. I have just googled for mites and pulled up pestoban herbal liquid, does anyone know if this works?

(sorry to jump your post
blush.gif
)

x

Rosyryan

Visit site
See if youre vet will dispense some front-line for your ned it isn't licensed for horses but is very effective against harvest/heel mites and deer/sheep ticks, the spray action can make horses sppok so you can spray it onb your hand and apply to affected area. I don't have any experience of pestoban, it may however be a bit cheaper than front-line.

aran

community.webshots.com
thank you
its by the mighty jason from rvc!

aran is not bothered at all - no stamping or discomfort - so I'm not really sure

its the orange dots that makes me think mites - mmm not sure!

i shall attempt to find a dermatologist tomorrow and find out!

Thank you

parsley

Visit site
You could investigate greasy heel (which is actually what my horse turned out to have!). I causes sore scabs on the fetlocks and folds of the heel (vet called it fold dermititus)

aran

community.webshots.com
thank you for that

i've experienced sunburn, greasy heal and mud fever on the lower limb but this does not appear to be the same

its the orange dots that i've never seen before. i'm treating it like a dermititus just in case!

Theresa_F

Visit site
If it is mites, frontline - stuff you use on dogs is excellent. I have used this initially then I use pig oil and sulphur. Not had any problems (touch wood) for the past three years with mites or mudfever since using it.

aran

community.webshots.com
Thank you for your replies. I have spoken to a dermatologist and she says that orange dots indicate harvest mites, however they may not have caused the few scabs. A scrub in hibiscrub followed 5 mins later with fresh water and then soft towelling should sort it out. However, not to pick the scabs but let them come away naturally. If the scabs get bigger/worse or get itchy then to treat with frontline etc

So I shall see what happens!

Thank you again