Mixing bedding

holeymoley

Visit site
Does anyone mix bedding?

Asking as I moved on to Nedzbeds pro this winter and love it. It was tricky to get hold of though and required a van load to be delivered at the one time and then storage was limited so a bit tricky. Anyway, I shared a load and bought enough to see me through to March, and now pony has gone on box rest and will be for a few months. We have a monthly delivery of shavings to our yard. Just wondered if anyone had ever mixed the 2 different types of bed? I used to be on shavings and didn’t have a problem with it, I only moved to nedsbeds as I liked the look of it and it was and is a lot more absorbent than shavings in their own. Wondering if it could work, even if I used the shavings at the base? 🤔

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have been using a base of rape straw with shavings on top. Great for my clean one and ok for the messy one when they were in during the daytime in summer but they are now in at night so today I dug out the middle of the messy one and put two bags of wood pellets down instead to see if it stays a bit cleaner.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Pleased to report that the messy one was also a dream to muck out this morning. The wood pellets seem to have stayed put and the whole box was so much cleaner that I gave him an extra bale of shavings on top as a reward. Shame he won't be using them as they are staying out tonight 😂

holeymoley

Visit site
Interesting about the wood pellets, a few friends use them but seem to buy by the pallet-load 🤔 I’ve ordered 2 shavings with the best delivery so hopefully they could work okay.