Mobile Stable - Advice please!

Liz_Clark

Visit site
Hi

I have a mobile stable on order, due to arrive in a few weeks for my mare.

I rent the field from a friend and so don't want to do anything too permanent, due to planning regs.

A few questions -

Lighting - I have no power source, can anyone recommend a good supplier of horse proof lights that I can run from a car battery?

Flooring - I have rubber mats - should I put these down? Should I compact the earth first? I plan to bed on straw, will that drain ok with nothing underneath?

Insurance - It's cost me over 2k and I want to insure it somehow, in case it gets hit by lightening, or torched etc. My insurers (NFU) said they didn't cover that, and so did SEIB - any suggestions?

Am very excited and would be grateful for any advice or experience

Thanks!

pottamus

Visit site
Hi, right then I have a mobile field stable in my field and they are fab. I have no lighting or water so use a lantern in the dark which is fine for poo picking but not good enough for removing the wet. For water I recommend fixing a water butt to the down pipe of the guttering or the surrounding ground will get soaked through and muddy. You could also look at a small wind turbine or solar panels on the roof as these will convery simply and create lighting...it may need backing up with a car battery in the winter if using solar panels though.
Flooring - I would definately get rubber matting - I have put some in mine and also bought some rubber strip to go on the inside all around the bottom of the stable as it prevents the bedding falling out, keeps mice out and stops water seeping in. The mats work really well and see no reason why not with straw - I use shavings but that is personal preference. You need to overlap the mats a bit or water can seep in during the winter - they may be a bit unlevel but my horse does not mind and lies down every night. I have my field shelter insured with NFU but under my home policy. Hope that helps!