Mobile stables - set up

tatty_v

Visit site
I've posted before about the problems I have keeping my horse on our family livery yard. The problems have now got worse as my auntie-in-law, whose horse shares a field with mine and who used to bring my horse in in the afternoons, has now decided she doesn't want to any more, with effect from Monday. To be honest, the arrangement hasn't worked brilliantly for me over the past two years for various reasons (see post on horses only being turned out for 4 hours a day!) but I've stuck with it because the field is a great field (huge, no mud, reasonably good fencing), I work long hours (leaving the house at 6.30am and not getting back until 7.30pm) and I was trying not to rock the family boat. However, I'm now faced with finding an alternative.

My husband and I are lucky enough to have our own 16 acre field and he is keen to move my horse up there so that I can be more in control of his comings and goings. We will find a companion for him. Over the summer they will be able to live out 24/7, which will be nice for both me and him! However, I think I will need some form of mobile stabling and tie-up area for the winter/farrier/vet etc. I've been looking into what's on offer but I'd really like to hear from those of you who have a similar set-up. What do you have and does it work for you? What would you change? It would need to be something that didn't require planning permission.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Firstly we put hardcore and road planing a down and fenced a "yard" We bought a two block on skids. Just cheap sloping roof types. Over the following year (after no complaints!) we added a third stable and a hay store and feed shed.
The basic on skids stables without a pitched roof are quite low so be aware of that! We had no idea but learnt from it and now have higher ones!
Garden sheds can make cheap ideal feed sheds and space for non valuables
I don't think you could charge a lot for this kind of set up but the turnout sounds great and will really appeal to people.
I would also add we had to get another horse because found two didnt work!
A large garden shed also make exellant emergency Shetland accomadation 😂

Shazzababs

Visit site
BTW Please be aware that the planning rules have changed recently and you now need permission for stables, even if they are on skids.

You might get away with it if they are out of site and no-one complains, as the change is not well known yet.