Mobile tack shop

Which Size?

• Total voters

rosie_equine

Dear all.....

I am currently thinking of setting up a mobile tack shop buisness. This would not be a mobile tack shop that visits shows, but one that delivers directly to your yard.

I have alot of equine contacts and I understand that (especially in the equine industry) people are very busy and dont always have the time to get to tack shops. (Needless to say, they a very few and far between.) Also online tack shops often come with the problems of things not fitting, the need to be at home when a delievery arrives, or missing the delievery and then the need to go the post office to collect the items etc. Again with limited amounts of time this can put people off. However the items need to be purchased!!!

It would sell products from rugs, to tack, to grooming products, to headcollars, to wheelbarrows etc etc etc the list goes on. It would not stock feed or bedding as this is supplied locally by a number of 'feed' stores.

The aim of the buisness would:
have a set day every week that I would attend your yard,
there would be a small catolugue containing the products and any offers avaliable, therefore you would be aware of the products and able to get in contact with me during the week to inform me of the products that you require on your 'visit' day.
Also I would offer a service whereby any emegency products (this could be any product, rug, first aid, boots etc) would be delievered asap, either that day or the next.

I aim to offer a service that is personal to you and your needs directly to your yard.

What do people think???

x
confused.gif

lucy1984

My friend does this from the back of her transit. Has some nice things (saddles, rugs, fleeces, various tack and bits - all new and some 2nd hand) and its a bonus when you can try it on the horse there and then to see how it fits...

Good luck
smile.gif

the watcher

I have known a number of people try this and all have failed for various reasons

1) They cannot carry enough stock to compete with shops/online suppliers
2) They could not compete with online suppliers for cost
3) They underestimate the cost in terms of vehicle/stock/fuel and TIME in getting form one yard to the next. 50% at least of your calls to yards will generate no sales at all

Judziah

I would be concerned that I was paying extra because of rising fuel costs. I shop around online to get the best prices as they vary so greatly...If I needed something in a hurry, I'd sooner go into a store as I wouldn't want to wait for someone to deliver and not turn up. Sorry!

boneo

I am an old cynic, these have been tried very often over the years, for some reason, they just don't work. The profit margins won't cover the overheads, and leave enough to make it worth while, forget it!

Zacamali

Hi @Rosie_Equine, did you end uo running this business?and if yes, where did you get your stock from? I am thinking of doing this, as a sideline to the fact I already visit yards for services, but cannot get account with wholesalers as you need a shop or a sales website to do that! Any advice would be great!

case895

Wholesalers will only deal with you at the start if you buy a minimum amount of stock from them. This will be a substantial investment for you and you will only be able to carry a couple do your range will be limited.