Mollichaff Condition?

Shantara

Visit site
Please excuse a rather silly question, but I have never fed a horse anything other than a haynet or treat every now and then (The usual polo or apple), so I honestly have NO idea! (Never owned a horse, I plan to learn before I get one, hence my asking)

Anyway, I got a small bag of Mollichaff Condition in a goody bag from Olympia and I was wondering if I should give Ned any. I don't know what it's used for, so I don't know if it would make an already lively horse, even worse?
If not, would feeding him small handfuls, or putting some in a scoop to help him with trailer training be acceptable?
If it would make him excitable or hyperactive, I may just give it away.

Please let me know!

747433.jpg

Edit: wow, massive pic! Smaller one now.

AngieandBen

Visit site
Best place for it is in the bin, no need at all to feed horses pretty bags of food that contain sugar.

There's plenty of non or very low molassed feeds on the market, Fast Fibre, Simple Systems Feeds and Pure Feeds are some example

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm not in the anti-sugar brigade, but I don't see the point of feeding a conditioning feed to a pony who isn't in poor condition / requiring the feed. It may affect him - some horses react more to sugar in their diet than others - or not, but either way it's not particularly useful...

Shantara

Visit site
Best place for it is in the bin, no need at all to feed horses pretty bags of food that contain sugar.

There's plenty of non or very low molassed feeds on the market, Fast Fibre, Simple Systems Feeds and Pure Feeds are some example

I'm not planning on buying him feed :p That's his owners job. I just got it pretty much free in a goody bag that I got at Olympia, which I had bought for the magazine, the other bits were a bonus.

Though, I shall use that info for future reference :) Thanks!

EDIT, JFTD: Yea, he's not in poor condition now, he may have had a use for it when he first arrived since his condition was AWFUL. I may donate it to my friends horse, who loses condition at the drop of a hat.

Last edited:

3Beasties

Visit site
Assuming it's just one of the small sample bags I can't see the harm in feeding a small handful here and there until it's gone (just check with the owner first!).

AFlapjack

Visit site
IMO if its only a little bag (like A5 paper size?) it wont do him much harm if you fed a tiny handful a day as a treat I wouldn't have thought.

Likewise it won't do much for a horse in poor condition (unless the horse was already fed the chaff) as it probably only amounts to a round scoop size anyway.

Shantara

Visit site
Yea it's a very small, sample bag.
I'll check with his owner too, since she doesn't mind me feeding him polos, carrots and apples after I've ridden, but I'm not sure how she'd feel about this. She's usually happy for me to do things my way with him when I ride (The amount of things I've bought for him to 'test out' haha!) but if it'd turn him into a complete loon, I don't think she'd appreciate it :p

Thanks everyone :) I may give him a little tiny bit in my hand and see how it goes.

whizzer

Visit site
I use it for my very feed sensitive TB & it doesn't send him nuts! As others have said the samples are teeny, can't see a small amount would do any harm!!

Firewell

Visit site
A handful won't make any difference. I'm sure a handful after a ride or a handful in the trailer will be absolutely fine.
Feed in that quantity won't do a jot to his temperament, it's no different to pulling up a handful
of nice grass and giving him that :).

lochpearl

Visit site
I doubt it would send him nuts but you should really check with his owner as there may be an ingredient in it that he is allergic to.

As to conditioning feed though, it's brilliant, I feed it to one of mine and he is finally up to an acceptable weight after 2 months.