Monday Morning Disease

peaelf

Visit site
hello there, my horse seems to have come down with a case of Monday Morning Disease, un willing to walk, seeming stiff when she does ect.. after reading stuff online and in books saying to keep her in work and stuff and the yard manager saying to keep her on box rest im unsure of what to do so was hoping you lovely people would give me some advice on what to do. thanks

beh

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Do whatever the vet says, I am assuming that you have had the vet.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree with that and maybe some sort of tying up feed thing to help reduce risk of it happening again

siennamum

Visit site
In that case since your horse possibly has a potentialy fatal and excruciatingly painful illness where prompt treatment is absolutely critical perhaps you should be spending money on the vet and not asking advice about the basics of horsecare on a forum.
Get a good night's sleep.

siennamum

Visit site

If she gets Azutoria then you must get the vet immediately.
If it isn't azutoria and she periodically becomes crippled behind then get the vet immediately.
If she is clearly uncomfortabe and you think she's in pain and don't know why, get the vet immediately.
If you don't want to get the vet then sell her and get a hamster. Then you don't hardly have to spend any money on the vet.
frown.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
My mare ties up............It's very uncomfortable when she has a bad attatck (despite my best efforts at trying to prevent it). If it happens again call your vet.
When you get cramp how painful is that.................VERY! No imagine having cramp all over your body and have it last for a while........Thats how much pain your horse will have been in.

peaelf

Visit site
urgh, i came here to get some advice other than call the vet from people that might have had the same thing with there horse or known a horse that has had it not to be spoken to like a child

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Okay, your vet should have been called to administer a muscle relaxant (I'm positive thats what my mare had when she had a bad attatck) and bute. Bloods may also have been taken. Give your horse a day in the stable then put her out for an hour and gradually build her up as long as she's comfortable. In two weeks your vet should be called again to take bloods again and check the enzyme levels (or levels of something) and when the vet syas then she can be ridden again.

siennamum

Visit site
You can't treat a forum like this as a substitute for the vet. I have experienced a horse with the same thing to my shame, as it was my fault. I've also had a horse with EPSM. For a sudden onset of the disease you will not find a textbook which doesn't advise getting the vet out so you won't get contradictory advise on here.
The only treatment for azoturia is administered by the vet. Left to run it's course it will be literally eating away at the muscles in your horses loins and potentially damaging internal organs.
The attack you ignored last year, assuming it was azoturia and not laminitis or any thing else, did irreparable damage to your horse, Properly diagnosed at that time you could have managed your horse to avoid another attack, instead she's going through the whole thing again. You don't know what is wrong with her, you haven't done proper research into treatment and yet you get huffy when you are told the right course of action.

peaelf

Visit site
thank you. we did give her bute in her tea as well as some electrolytes. she went out for an hour today at the advice of the lady on the yard, and to keep her in for 48 hours but after reading in vet books and the like some say to keep them in work and other not to. she can still walk shes just slower than normal and to me she dosent seem to be in that much pain, obviously if i thought she was i would have rang the vet

siennamum

Visit site
We seem to be making a big asumption that horse has definitely tied up. Could just as easily be having laminitis attacks.
The vet MUST be called to give a proper diagnosis, straight away (instead of a woman on the yard). There could be some glaringly obvious piece of mismanagement going on here which a vet could help with.

peaelf

Visit site
yes i will. she always has her fleece on after being worked. poor thing must be cooking now, left her with a heavy turnout, stable rug and 2 sets of leg wraps on!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
poor thing must be cooking now, left her with a heavy turnout, stable rug and 2 sets of leg wraps on!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats going to help her a lot. Sell the horse to someone who can care for her properly, and get yourself a budgie.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I hope to god it is.

Mare on our yard had a similar condition - despite vet coming out she ended up on a drip and touch and go - she was tying up due to a reaction to her feed - something that came on suddenly and for no obvious reason.

She recovered, and once it was realised it was feed related, her diet was totally changed and she never tied up again.

If this is not a joke, please call your vet out, stop pi**ing around - whatever she has, it is obvious that she needs professional treatment - something she is not getting at present.

ru-fi-do

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
poor thing must be cooking now, left her with a heavy turnout, stable rug and 2 sets of leg wraps on!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats going to help her a lot. Sell the horse to someone who can care for her properly, and get yourself a budgie.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
grin.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
this must be a joke surely?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so.
mad.gif
If not please call a vet or sell horse to someone who will look after her properly. Please neither buy a hamster, budgie or goldfish for that matter - It just wouldn't be fair.
frown.gif

samsaccount

Visit site
Jemima, to be honest I still think it would be unsuitable for this person and that is saying something!!!

I really cannot believe you did not call the vet out the first time (if not the second) time this happend to your horse, and motified that you have said she did it all last winter and yet you did nothing?! Are you idiotic or something? If you notice your horse is having a continous problem surely you were a decent horse ower, consult a vet and have your horse checked out.

If you are not willing to look after your horse (which i shall remind you is a LIVING ANIMAL) in a responsible manner i suggest you sell the horse on to a home which will call a vet out when she is having health problems and will not allow them to develop!

CALL THE VET!

peaelf

Visit site
how dare you all say that about me, you dont even know me. ive had my horse pushing on 9 years now and on all the yards ive been on shes been one of the best looked after

charlie900

Visit site
If you were Ill you would see a doctor . Please call a vet we all know they are horrendously expensive but after 9 years she must be worth it

rach1984horse

Visit site
I lost my horse because of Monday Mornings. She had a bad attack, lay down and when she tried to get up went crashing through a door, had a fit and had to be put to sleep. Our vet was up first thing in the morning then again in the afternoon when she fell. She had to be pts on the spot.

I'm not going to turn this into a joke like some people have, or preach to you that you need to call the vet. This forum can offer very good advice but is no substitute for a professional coming and checking your horse over.

If my horse had come alright I would have checked her feed/work routine because it could have been that she was getting fed too muck. Monday mornings used to be common in hunters after having a day on box rest.

My horse died from Monday Mornings because something had gone wrong internally and this had caused the sudden tying up. That is why people are sudgesting your vet take bloods. There was no way of telling anything was wrong with my horse until it was too late.

Sparklet

Visit site
Ok - a woman at our yard had a similar problem with her horse. I actually spoke to her about 10 mins before the attack and she was riding the horse - I actually remarked that she looked really nice. 10 mins later the horse wouldnt move and she struggled to get it from the menage to the stable.

She immediately called the vet who diagnosed Azutoria visited and administered appropriate medication and took bloods to confirm the diagnosis. The horse was stabled for a few days and only allowed out on the condition it was not likely to run about.

She is not allowed to have any sort of exercise until mid Jan when he will return and repeat bloods to see if the condition has cleared sufficiently for her to be able to start gentle exercise.

Azutoria damages muscle permanently - to be honest I dont think people on here have been mean to you they are just incredulous that you havent got veterinary treatment for what is a very sick horse. I completely agree with them.