Money owed what would you do?

shadowboy

Visit site
Mid October I moved to a brand new yard on part livery. I paid £68 a week one month in advance to the yard manager (who lived on site). I did not meet the YO as they let the entire yard out to the YM. My horse and I were incredibly happy. On December 3rd the YM told me they were leaving to take on a new yard (a bigger competition venue) this new yard is too far away for me. They told me I was welcome to stay where I was but as I need part livery this was not a viable option. They told me they were moving in 10 days time (13th December!!) so I had very little time to organise anything. Anyway, I have since moved but I am owed over two weeks livery as I paid for the month up front (as agreed) there was supposed to be a contract when I arrived but it never appeared and I forgot about it. As I had only been on the yard 6 weeks before they told me they were leaving I thought they were just being slow remembering to bring the contract. I have asked for the money 4 times and never get a reply. I am unsure what to do - it might not seem like much money but I've effectively paid for two sets of livery just before Christmas so am pretty skint!

its_noodles

Visit site
I would make a formal demand of your money in writing, saying that if the Yard Manager does not respond within a reasonable time scale, say 2 weeks, you will take her/him to a small claim court.
Good luck...
:)

rachk89

Visit site
Yeah start the slight threatening mention trading standards etc. It's the only way to deal with people like that it's not great but if they aren't doing this the easy way they will learn the hard way.

SO1

Visit site
How far away is the new yard they have gone to. Can you arrange to go to the yard and ask them in person for the money it is harder to ignore someone when you meet them in person.

Theocat

Visit site
What's your notice period? If you choose to leave with just ten days notice, they might want to hold you to a full month ...

shadowboy

Visit site
It's about 45 minutes from home- yes I could go up there and meet them there but if they don't have the cash on them.... Arg so annoyed. I might have to address a letter to the new yard. They did say when I left that they would get me the money I owed when I came back to pick up the last of my stuff, by the time that evening I got there they had moved out themselves!

shadowboy

Visit site
I was told one month, but they only gave me 10 days notice that they were leaving. I couldn't feasibly stayed without the YM doing the turnout (and two days full livery) as I can't get to yard in the morning due to my job plus he'd have been on his own until any new liveries arrived to take their place - so although I chose to leave it was in some respects forced.

Mike007

Visit site
Thats the big problem with livery yards ,the management (and I do use the term loosely)seem to think its one rule for liverys and another for them . I was on assisted livery with a months notice and was given less than a weeks notice that a third party was taking over the care of my horse. Some months later I was given zero notice when said third party vanished. License the ******** !

Dry Rot

Visit site
I would make a formal demand of your money in writing, saying that if the Yard Manager does not respond within a reasonable time scale, say 2 weeks, you will take her/him to a small claim court.
Good luck...
:)

This ^^^^^ but send Recorded Delivery and make sure you keep a copy. A formal letter doesn't have to be cold and legal. It is just as effective if you are polite and friendly. I'd add that you're sorry it has come to this but you need the money and it is just business. You'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Good Luck in getting your money back. Send a proper formal letter requesting the outstanding money from the YM but I expect they will not pay & you will need to be prepared to take the matter to the small claims court.

So many times on this forum people post this type of problem. Money having been paid over to a YO with the 'Promise' of a contract & promise of receipts for the payments made for livery 'in cash' but they never materialise.

With no records of what a livery has paid & no contract in place stating what the livery's entitlements are there is little redress. I appreciate that a verbal contract is binding but when you need to prove what was said it's a different matter.

Do not hand over any money to a YO or YM until you receive & sign a contract. If the contract is not forthcoming then move on because you will have problems further down the line & there is little doubt that it will be the livery who will be chasing money or having to find a new yard quickly because the YO has given a very short notice.