Money!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Only use cash. Set yourself a monthly budget. Take half of your budget out at the start of the month and half on the 15th. If you need to buy something online and use a card make sure you put that amount back into your account.

I've found that it's easier to keep spending in check if I draw out a certain amount of money in cash at the beginning of the month, and play a little game of seeing how long I can make it last, while only using my debit card for shopping for the whole family.

The ATM made me snort half in amusement, half in indignation, when I saw it giving out money-saving advice on the screen, between transactions.

Really useful stuff like "if you go without a latte and doughnut at a cafe on the way to work each morning, you could save up to £150 per year!!1!111!"

No shit, Sherlock.

I prefer the advice in Viz. "If you want to make an apple pie, try buying onions, instead of apples, because they are cheaper."

Shoei

Visit site
I have a spreadsheet that I keep all my general outgoings on, so I can see what I have left to spend each month.

I also use the 'piggy bank', house spending on one account, horse spending another, horse savings one and car savings another.

I think Supermarkets depend very much on what you eat and where you live. I used to shop at Aldi a lot but there was always something missing so I would go to tesco etc. I also ended up adding extra things into my basket.

We are also quite a way from the shops so you have to factor fuel in. I now have a Sainburys online shopping pass, so I have paid for my deliveries upfront. I have found I actually save by doing this as I can see what I am spending and I don't get tempted by other things!

catkin

Visit site
I've found that it's easier to keep spending in check if I draw out a certain amount of money in cash at the beginning of the month, and play a little game of seeing how long I can make it last, while only using my debit card for shopping for the whole family.

Cash really does seem to help with those silly little impulse buys, especially notes. I often find myself thinking 'do I really want to break that last tenner on this bit of trash? nah....'

babymare

Visit site
I have mobile banking on my phone and it really opened my eyes to my spending. When paid I do some sums to see what's left after every outgoing is taken away. I include a set £300 for shopping, hair cut, even what I might spend on wine!! Everything. I then know what is left to spend. I then carefully spend and can see daily my balance. It's been an eye opener to me but also allowed me to gradually save. My hubby laughs because I never draw money out unless I really really have to 🙃

Tarragon

Visit site
I think that you are already on the right track by wanting to work out ways to spend less! Lots of good advice on here too to go with. I am another one who recommends keeping a log of all expenditure for a couple of months. With a bit of analysis you can spot trends and patterns that give even more pointers to areas you can improve on and the saying that saving pennies saves pounds is true.
Can you sell anything to help you get back on an even keel so that the new saving plans can start to work?

Clodagh

Visit site
In my old fashioned opinion, horses only need hay. Hard food and balancers are generally only to make us feel happier about them. I hunted hard on horses fed only on hay and a handful of nuts (to appease me, not them).

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
1. Set up a standing order so that on payday, 10% of your income goes to a savings account. Forget you ever earned it; it's for rainy day emergencies ONLY.

2. Review the obvious big spend areas ie insurance, utilities etc. There is no benefit to being a loyal customer to any of these companies.

3. Work out (with a spending diary) how much you spend on non-obvious stuff; coffees, snacks, lunches, magazines, bits n bobs etc. Then cut them all out, allowing yourself a regular little treat that you will actually appreciate.

Clodagh

Visit site
Why on earth do you need a use by date on vegetables?
Or did I read it wrong?
OP I think everything has been covered with how to save so good luck.

Tescos have stopped printing a use buy date on pre packed veg. It is supposedly to cut waste. In practice you take things home and some are rotten.