Mongol bits?

Dry Rot

Visit site
I was watching Mongol horsemen in the TV Travel channel the other evening and it looked as if some ponies were being ridden bitless, so I did a bit of research. Not bitless, but some odd shaped bits which in some cases extended out the side of the horse's mouth by several inches. Do a Google in Images for mongols horses and lots of images will come up. Can some wise person explain how these bits works and what are the advantages? These people have been riding horses since time began and presumably they know what they are doing. But just what are they doing and why? Just curious.

bridle.jpg

Enfys

Visit site
In every photo/film/video I have ever seen of mongol horses being ridden they all look damn uncomfortable in their mouths.

Joined to the noseband as it possibly acts a little like a kineton, longer bits are used in harness racing to aid with steering (slider bits) so perhaps the length helps with steering, and stopping, imagine that folding up and sticking in the palate .

Dry Rot

Visit site
Yes, they certainly do seem to drag them around. But I'm reluctant to dismiss their knowledge with hundreds of years behind them. They must know something to have sacked Rome!

be positive

Visit site
Yes, they certainly do seem to drag them around. But I'm reluctant to dismiss their knowledge with hundreds of years behind them. They must know something to have sacked Rome!

The bit looks like it was made hundreds of years ago and may well have been made using the same methods, like Enfys I think the horses always look uncomfortable and it is more than likely that the knowledge they have is much the same as we had over here many years ago before we had vets and dentists, back people and natural horsemanship trainers, the horse is a an animal valued for the work it does but little will be done to make that working life any better, they get what they require until they can no longer do the job.

hypopit

Visit site
Gypsies know a lot about horses "since time began" as you put it, but some of the sights you see at Appleby don't sit well. Just because you have always done it, does not make it right!. We progress with knowledge ...hopefully.

Enfys

Visit site

Oh no, I am not dismissing their knowledge at all. I know how different things in other cultures are, and I only emigrated to Canada from the UK!

Dry Rot

Visit site
I am not really bothered where my knowledge comes from, so long as I learn. I have no doubt that Vlad the Impaler was as nasty to his horses as he was to his enemies, but if he knew something that I didn't, I'd still listen to him! :D

I now understand a bit more about elongated curbed bits that I didn't know before. I knew there had to be a reason. Thanks for the contributions.:)

Oh, and yes, I know Vlad wasn't a mongol, but he had some interesting ideas I'm tempted to try out on my nuisance of a neighbour!

MDB

Visit site
I used to live in Mongolia and did a bit of riding there. I have to say I don't specifically remember the bits that were used. But I do remember a few gasps at the general state of the tack which was slung from horse to horse, not in the best of condition and repaired with bits of rope etc.
The kids over there are on horses before they can walk. During the annual Naadam festival there are lots of horse racing events cross country. One of the biggest is the children's race where child jockeys from 5-13 race for big prizes (relatively speaking) There are often hundreds of horses and little regard for safety, every year there is always a handful of children killed during Naadam, but the money is big for poor families and so they take the risk. Anyway, a slight tangent from the original question but there you go. Tough little horses, skilled riders, but a very hard life for those horses which are often treated quite harshly. I should also mention, the riding horses are often semi feral, so going for a leisure ride over there is somewhat different to anywhere else I have ridden. I didn't come off myself, but several time have seen people catapulted into thin air. Of course there could be many reasons why a horse wants to eject a rider, but those wee horses are definitely wild.

Last edited:

Palindrome

Visit site
Interesting MDB.

Just an idea about the bits, could they be a bit big so they fit all sizes of mouth and don't pinch? You can't use a snaffle that is too small so if using the same bit on several horses you would likely choose the largest one.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Interesting MDB.

Just an idea about the bits, could they be a bit big so they fit all sizes of mouth and don't pinch? You can't use a snaffle that is too small so if using the same bit on several horses you would likely choose the largest one.

Here is another close up of the bit. I found several pictures on Google Images by searching for mongolian horses etc. The bits seem about the correct size for a Shire (!) and I wonder if by being curved they give extra control? There was interesting program on TV about ancient chariots and the presenters explained that the bits of horses harnessed to chariots were straight with fixed rings. Apparenly, that allows for the horse to be controlled with one hand, the other hand being used to hold a spear or sword.

0003245e_medium.jpeg