Moral support needed

not_with_it

Visit site
I havent posted in here in ages but I have still been reading.

My instructor/ YO has moved abroad and she was the person I could always go to with my problems, I never realised how much support she used to give me. We would chat for hours about horses and our problems, I really miss that and there is no one at the yard that will understands or has that passion for training.

2 years ago my mare damaged her sacroiliac. Her future was unsure and she ended up having 2 years off. In that time she produced a super foal. This week has been make or break time for her back.

I have brought her back into work and shut the foal in the stable whilst I ride her. This hasnt been a problem until people arrive at the yard and moving horses about which upsets them both. Gin has big movement and so is losing balance, running off and then fighting with her mouth. Today was just a big battle. I know it will come in time and I know I need to ride her in the dreaded (dare I say it) drawreins to stop her fighting.

I guess that after 2 years I was slightly deluded and only remembered her good bits. She hasnt forgotten a thing but I just need to get through this battle.
I am going to email my instructor and get her opinion on the situation.

I need coffee or chocolate for a big boost as I am so tired and dont know how I used to fit everything in. There are other issues at the yard that are not helping but I wont bore everyone with those.

Thanks for reading. Feel free to tell me to get a grip and give me a kick up the backside but I just needed to share.

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
Ah chin up chuck, it'll all come back, you know what you're doing it's just been a while since you had to think and do at the same time! A little dip in confidence that's all. Good idea to email L, doesn't she come back often? I know she was here last summer, can't you persuade her a trip would be good fun?! Take your time, there's no rush is there, and shout up if you need any help - haven't been to see the baby yet so any excuse to come across. Ludo's back on the sick list, but at least this time, I can still ride (Respiratory probs and hock spavins, ah the joys of an older horse!!). Take care and moan away as you like! Just a thought isn't there another instructor you could come and help you out? I'll pm you the name of someone I was thinking about

Last edited:

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Sorry that you're feeling a bit down in the dumps, we all go there ever so often!!

I would say if you're bringing her back take it really slow, don't ask too much of her and make it as fun as you can. Don't get frustrated if she can't do something, just do something else you know she can do and come back to the other thing later or next time. Also I would think don't use draw reins if you can avoid it, she will need to take a lot of time to rebuild her muscles after 2 years off so maybe she's struggling as much as fighting and I actually think draw reins can short change you in the long run.

If it's any consolation my guy often has a winter break and it takes him a LONG time to get back to how he was ad he hasn't had the probs that yours has.

Give her a big hug and remember to enjoy her and have fun!!

not_with_it

Visit site
Sorry to hear about Ludo G, I hope he gets better soon.

You know you are more than welcome to come see Dixie whenever you like.
The frustrating thing is I know what to do but doing it is a different story. I need me on the ground to shout at me riding. It doesnt help that I have no stomach muscles left to hold her back. I have been speaking to L and she is coming over sometime soon. I have already booked her.:D
We were doing so well before the problems started and I suppose Im just expecting things to be back to normal too soon.

Hels_Bels, without meaning to sound defensive I really think the draw reins will work. It will stop her tugging at me and pulling my shoulders out of joint. I have used them on her before for the same reasons. I understand she needs to find her balance but she has always had issues with her mouth. I never have them tight.

I will definately give her a big hug.

Hels_Bells

Visit site
No worries at all nat1003, you don't sound defensive at all, we would only end up doing the whole pro/anti draw reins thing!!! :D

It sounds like she's quite strong! My guy has always been a contact avoider though not strong as in stomping off with me, just fighting the contact strong. I've found a NS team-up bit really good plus you can get them to try out. I can now have a lovely light contact with him which is what I've always wanted and it has improved his way of going in general. However, I don't know if this would work for yours esp as I don't know the ins and outs/roots of where it comes from but just thought I'd lob it in there in case it's a help!!! :D

Anyway, hope you're feeling a bit more bright eyed and positive today!

not_with_it

Visit site
Thanks Hels_Bells.

I did a quick session in the school today with the draw reins on and my gut feeling was right. She was 100 times better than yesterday and it really felt like a step forward.