Morbid Question sorry!

xDundryx

Visit site
So we are potentially having to have our 8yo TB PTS due to on going soundness issues we can't even keep him 'field sound at the minute (though I do hate that phrase, a horse is either sound or not) so it's coming to a head as it's a degenerative problem. Having had one PTS via injection which went horribly wrong I've opted for the hunt ever since, quick, painless and their head in a bucket of food. Living on the Suffolk/Norfolk border now does anyone know of any knackermen or hunts who will do the job? Due to the attitude of some of the other liveries (think very broken old horses medicated to the eyeballs hobbling around in pain because they don't believe we should choose when they die..) I'd rather take him to them to be PTS than face more judgement at such a bloody difficult time.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
So sorry your having to deal with this especially with such a young horse, I have no recommendations as I don't know the area, I just wanted to say is there no way you could arrange for somebody to come to the yard very early to do it, I totally understand you not wanting any grief from the judgemental idiots, I just think it will be easier on the horse to be able to stay in surroundings his used to, it's a very horrible situation to be in without people making it harder for you I just think it's unfair for you to be made to have to take the horse elsewhere.

Would you yard owner not deal with the situation for you and tell those liveries how it is and maybe sort out a time where you can be there on your own?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
So sorry your having to deal with this especially with such a young horse, I have no recommendations as I don't know the area, I just wanted to say is there no way you could arrange for somebody to come to the yard very early to do it, I totally understand you not wanting any grief from the judgemental idiots, I just think it will be easier on the horse to be able to stay in surroundings his used to, it's a very horrible situation to be in without people making it harder for you I just think it's unfair for you to be made to have to take the horse elsewhere.

Would you yard owner not deal with the situation for you and tell those liveries how it is and maybe sort out a time where you can be there on your own?

I once took one somewhere else in his horsebox to be dispatched by captive bolt, to avoid upset. The horse was a good traveller and had a ball. A huge meal, his fancy travel boots, and he was convinced he was on his way to a show or other pony party which he loved. Bless him, he strode off the box happy as Larry. A moment later, to a lot of fuss, he was gone.

If OP has decided (a decision that is very hard to make at the best of times) that it is best to take the horse elsewhere, I think it is a bit judgemental to try to say what is the best alternative thing to do, at a time that is already very difficult.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I once took one somewhere else in his horsebox to be dispatched by captive bolt, to avoid upset. The horse was a good traveller and had a ball. A huge meal, his fancy travel boots, and he was convinced he was on his way to a show or other pony party which he loved. Bless him, he strode off the box happy as Larry. A moment later, to a lot of fuss, he was gone.

If OP has decided (a decision that is very hard to make at the best of times) that it is best to take the horse elsewhere, I think it is a bit judgemental to try to say what is the best alternative thing to do, at a time that is already very difficult.

I wasn't judging the op at all I just think it's unfair that she has been kind of pushed into the decision by the other liveries not agreeing with her having the horse pts, I have no objection to taking horses like you did if it's a decision made purely by your choice, the op has stated that she feels that it would be the better option because of the flack from other liveries that's not fair.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I should have perhaps worded it differently by saying if you think it's in the horses best interest to be pts there, don't feel pushed into taking him elsewhere for the sake of not upsetting a few people.

I am sorry op if you feel I was judging you I really wasn't, I know how hard it is I have done it several times myself I would really hate for anyone to feel I was judging them at such a difficult time.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I can't advise on a hunt, but just wanted to say, you are absolutely doing the right thing and fair play for having the strength to do it.
I
After very recently having helped a friend through a similar situation where I brought her pony offsite to have the deed done, its the quickest and most humane thing to do. I think it was actually more difficult for us as owners.
The mare had no idea what was happening and it was done in seconds, and we stayed with her to say our goodbyes.

I'm sure you don't but don't let the know it alls get to you and I hope no matter what you do it all goes well for you.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i would recommend the thurlow hunt, i used them for my mare and the hunstman was lovely and quiet and very respectful of my feelings and very gentle with my horse....i was in bits but it couldnt have gone any better and she went chewing a carrot..

TelH

Visit site
Am I right in thinking Alec Swan is in Norfolk? Not seen him post on HHO for some time but I think he is active in the HHO Facebook group, and I seem to remember he has had useful info in such situations in the past. Might be worth a message to him on FB.

ozpoz

Visit site
Whatever you decide, I just wanted to say I am so sorry you have to put up with judgemental idiots when you are trying to do the best for your horse.
I am beginning to believe that something about this kind of situation should be written into livery contracts, as sadly nowadays people can be so inconsiderate and disrespectful when a little support and understanding would make life easier for horse owners.

autumn7

Visit site
xDundryx I can 100% recommend Warman's. http://www.johnwarman.co.uk/index1.html

Over the years I have needed their services twice and they are SO compassionate. Being horse owners themselves they are very practical and get the job done with no fuss and just the right amount of empathy.
On both occasions (pony 10 years ago and horse 3 years ago) he has come out first thing in the morning to my home, I have held my horses, feeding a treat whilst he delivers the bullet, (or get someone else to hold if you don't want to), horse drops immediately, OH led our remaining horse to see the body at my request (I'd asked Mr W. if this was OK with him when I booked him and it was - absolutely). Approx ten mins later Mr W sent me indoors to make myself a cuppa, saying " there's no need for you to see this next bit m'dear, you go and get yourself a cuppa tea..." which I did. Mr W winched the body on to his lorry and drove away leaving OH to cover up the blood patch on the ground with earth. From start to finish Mr W was probably here less than half an hour. Warman's do also organise cremations, although I wasn't interested in this.
The whole process was made as straightforward as these sad events could possibly be, for which I was grateful. I'd owned the pony for 18 yrs, she was 27 when PTS and my horse for 25 yrs, she was 30 when PTS. Both were true members of our family.

Clodagh

Visit site
The Thurlow hunt do mine, although they have a new kennel huntsman now. They do enough horses, probably more than any hunt so should be proficient.

xDundryx

Visit site
Thank you all for the replies it's a cruddy situation to be in made all the more difficult with people sticking their ten penneth in as well. I respect everyone's choices and views and stay well out of their business it would be nice if some liveries would do similar however somehow when it comes to this subject they feel obliged to wade in not dropping it when told to :( sadly I only mentioned it to one of the others (we are a small yard anyway) who set the jungle drums beating not intentionally but now the yard are aware and 3 of them are tree huggers who believe any life is better than no life (they of the chronically lame fat as pigs doped to the eyeballs horses) again I appreciate everyone's replies and didn't take any the wrong way it would be lovely for him to go with his head in a bucket on the yard which he knows and is lovely and calm. I might speak to the YO who is a lovely old school farmer see when he knows a time we'd be sure of some peace so someone could come out to us. He's a dear old boy and said to me tonight 'decisions yours whenever you have to make It, those horses of yours have a good old life just remember where there's livestock they'll be deadstock' i had a tear!

Last edited: