More Bitting Woes

Tern

Visit site
So.. mare has been happy in her Full Cheek Jointed Korsteel Flexi bit.. but I have noticed damage (knew this would happen at some point or another) her teeth are fine but she is very very fussy mouthed, won't take metal very well (have tried copper rollers, copper enriched, jointed, french link etc etc) and also struggles to hold a contact. Do I buy another one of these at 20 quid a bit knowing i'll have to replace it in the near future or do I try something else? I am starting to feel her getting a bit fussy again too. She's in a plain cavesson noseband.

Do I buy another of the same, a rubber version or something else? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. :(

Queenbee

Visit site
I went through loads of bits... Nothing worked then I tried a bomber bit, can't rave about them enough, if you search for the bit bank you can hire them for a couple of weeks before making a decision

Tern

Visit site
I went through loads of bits... Nothing worked then I tried a bomber bit, can't rave about them enough, if you search for the bit bank you can hire them for a couple of weeks before making a decision

Mare doesn't like metal however, is this the same as the Shires blue thing?

Queenbee

Visit site
yes its the blue alloy. I thought with ben that it may have been the metal, he would literally run away from the bridle when i was trying out NS, in the end it was the movement of the bit he couldnt cope with, later we found out that he had a shard of wolf tooth working its way up, my EDT said most horses wouldnt fuss over it, but the beast is a pansy! We went for the Portuguese snaffle, it has a curb that acts not as a brake but to secure the bit as still as possible in his mouth... the change was amazing!

Ella19

Visit site
Perhaps save the happy mouth type bit for competition and at home use a thin metal bit with latex wrap round it. Latex comes in a roll so easily and cheaply replaced when they munch through it.