More energy for a well rounded 4 year old?

Doormouse

Visit site
My 4 year old is broken and working gently daily. She hacks most of the time but we have one lesson a week, mainly flatwork with a bit of jumping.

She goes fabulously at the beginning of each lesson but she does run out of oomph quite quickly and much as I realise that is to do with weakness I do also think she could do with some food to help her energy levels a bit.

She is very well covered so lives on a handful of fibre cubes, tiny bit of Pura beet and lucie stalks twice a day just to put her pro hoof in really. I don't want to give her more food that will in any way increase the weight, the battle of bulge is quite hard enough as it is so was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas. She also has not great feet, hence the low sugar diet.

I was thinking maybe a handful of oats?

Dusty85

Visit site
Does she really need anything else? My 4yo is on a handful of balancer with a tiny bit of chaff just to fill it out. He's out 24/7 and doesn't need anything else.

How long are you lessons; is she just running out of steam because they are too long for a week 4yo? Maybe keep them shorter, but do them twice a week instead, one flatwork and one jumping?

Just an idea.

Doormouse

Visit site
Lesson is 45 minutes max which includes a good 15 mins walking at beginning and warm down at the end. She isn't beng asked to work hard, big gentle circles, mainly trot, a little canter and a lot of halts etc. she runs out of puff after about 20 mins so only 5 mins into trotting and she goes very stuffy if that makes sense.

She is small and short and compact and if she had more bone you would say she was a cob! she isn't very forward thinking by nature and is quite lazy so although I would agree that she is weak I do think we not asking a great deal and that she should be fit enought to cope.

Oscar

Visit site
I would consider adding oil, linseed or copra. Oil is good for slow release energy & although high in calories if she is working daily I would think they are good calories rather than sugary calories.

I would also consider upping her fitness with longer, faster hacks, working paces rather than charging about! And perhaps a day off or easy walk hack the day before a lesson.

ellie_e

Visit site
My 4yr has also gone very quiet when jumping too, it seems like she is in more work than yours, and is getting fed more, but I've just ordered her some D&H stay power cubes to add to her regular feed ( saracen releve and alfa) Maybe its time of the year? She will be having another mini holiday at the begining of July too, has yours had any time off?