More Nerve with Age?

Parkranger

Visit site
Just wondering how many 'returning' riders have found they have more nerve than they did as a kid?

I don't know if it's just a confidence thing (I was quiet as a mouse as a kid) but I don't seem to be scared ot anything on my boy now I know him....even starting to jump again which I absolutely love....

anyone else the same?

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Found that as I hit 40 the ground became very hard. It was 3 yrs ago that I had my last fall which is when I gave up jumping and decided to try dressage. Much safer option for me, plus I learnt to 'ride' for the first time (ermm, began to learn to ride) !

Honeybee

photobucket.com
Hiya!!
I have show jumped and hunted all my life, took a small break last year. Don’t think I have ever been this nerves sometimes I think (I’ve lose my bottle) definitely ages me thinks.
blush.gif

SSM

Visit site
I'm aware that the ground seems further down these days!!!!!!!

I don't think I would go and do the jumps I used to - used to British Airways Hunter Trials - will stick to local novice courses now (Donkey heaves a sigh of relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Kelly1982

Visit site
I think i am quite a confident rider anyway but as i kid i had absolutly no fear!!! I wouldn't think twice about jumping 4ft bareback in a head collar and leadrope. Now though the most bare back riding i do is to the field and that was only on my last horse, i would never attempt it on my new one!!!

RLF

Visit site
I think you worry more about self preservation the older you get, bones don't heal quite so quickly!

jemima

Visit site
The opposite for me I'm afraid. As a child I was totally fearless and rather nutty with it, I had a 25 year break from riding and got into cross country in my second year back - but this year (my fourth back riding) I've been out through injury for 12 months and I'm not certain that you'll see me XC on my daughter's nutty cob anymore - although once I get my own boy back from her I suppose I might! On the other hand I might well not!

filly0447

Visit site
When I was little, well up to 2years ago I had no fear, would moan like hell if the jumps weren't three foot, would ride anything and had no fear, and in the last year or so, I have become a wimp! Not on the flat, but particularly jumping! So for me it's the opposite way round!

michb52

Visit site
Couldnt agree more! Having showjumped ponies and then horses I would have tackled anything! However after having had a break from competing for a couple of years I find nerves now play a big factor. For me its all about gaining confidence again and believing in me and the horse!

pottamus

Visit site
I was quite a scaredy cat when I was a kid, even in my riding and would always go for the safer option. As a child I always enjoyed disappearing for hours on my horse and just wandering around the countryside doing what we wanted. My step mum was strick and always wanted me to do stuff like jump...which I hated and I fell off over just about every jump...completely hated it and lost my nerve.
Now after a 12 year break and at 32 yrs old I would say I have a lot more nerve to cope and ride 'difficult' horses but I have never regained or had any thoughts or needs to jump...ever. Cannot see that changing, it scares me silly. I would rather ride a jumpy, nappy, spooky, bucky horse any day...weirdly enough!!!! But would not have done that as a child.
I have come off my tricky Welshie several times and he has purposely got me off too...but I just get back on and get on with it...I have waited so long to have another horse...a little difficulty is not going to put me off!