more ooomph needed

not_with_it

Visit site
This isnt really a CR thread so apologies in advance but I thought I would get the best advice in here.

My mare is 14 and used to compete at elementary level dressage. She damaged her sacroiliac just over 2 years ago and so had 2 years off to be a field pony and in that time had a foal. She came back into work at the beginning of september and will work 3 days and have a day off. She is still turned out with foalie during the day and stabled seperately at night.

She used to be such a hot head and always had more than enough energy but since she has come back into work she is a complete donkey. She has just started hacking out and is being a saint, she never used to hack as she was dangerous, and she is a plod in the school. Its just not like her.

I know that she isnt as fit as I would like but she just seems to have no energy, hence she only does 3 days on the trot. She is fed Hi-fi and staypower museli with oil and biotin twice a day. I have been and bought some alpha beet today to try to perk her up but im a bit reluctant to up her museli.
The other thing I thought about was giving her some propel plus. It is possible that foalie is taking all her energy and draining her.

I suppose I just needed to write this down but any advice would be gratefully recieved. I want my hot head back!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I have started feeding mine Allen and Page's Power and Performance - it does seem to be good in perking him up without making him doolally. I will only be riding 3-4 days a week max now winter in closing in, but still will be competing at least one weekend a month hopefully.

The lady in my feed shop feeds this to her nephews 4/5 games ponies (I'm never sure how many he has!) and she said it has been great for putting muscle on them and giving them some spark. So much so that half the games team is now on it :)

I'm sure they'll be better pearls of wisdom, I don't tend to change feed much, so have limited knowledge!! :)

fleabittengrey

Visit site
I've just posted a very similar thread at the same time as you - will watch for comments here!

I tried P&P and found that the first couple of weeks the horse was much perkier, then it sort of tailed off and didn't carry on showing improvement. I use staypower on sharper horses to give them long lasting energy when fitter and doing more strenuous activities and so I haven't thought to try it on this one - its a TB but to be honest I want it more explosive!

_jetset_

Visit site
I find the TopSpec Super Conditioning Flakes do just this and you don't need to find much of them to have a result.

The other thing you could try is something like some Propell or EnerG twice a day in her feed. Perhaps she just needs a pick me up after feeding foalie for 6 months and when they are together I bet Dixie still suckles now and again too.

not_with_it

Visit site
I find the TopSpec Super Conditioning Flakes do just this and you don't need to find much of them to have a result.

The other thing you could try is something like some Propell or EnerG twice a day in her feed. Perhaps she just needs a pick me up after feeding foalie for 6 months and when they are together I bet Dixie still suckles now and again too.

This feeding malarky is getting expensive! I have just put Dix on topspec but im not too keen on the price tag attached:eek:

Is EnerG the stuff that Emile Faurie advertises or do I have that completely wrong?
I think I will go for the propell if the alpha beet doesnt work.

The good news is she has no swelling in her back anymore. I just need the energy and then fingers crossed we will be back out competing come spring.

_jetset_

Visit site
Excellent news about her back hon... I have been looking for updates on her :)

I would try the EnerG before Propell. It works out quite a bit cheaper as you feed less as a maintenance. Dizz is on it full time because she needs a little something extra for her immune system. I did have her on Propell but then tried the EnerG for cost reasons and have been very impressed with it. But NAF products are generally very good.

not_with_it

Visit site
Excellent news about her back hon... I have been looking for updates on her :)

I would try the EnerG before Propell. It works out quite a bit cheaper as you feed less as a maintenance. Dizz is on it full time because she needs a little something extra for her immune system. I did have her on Propell but then tried the EnerG for cost reasons and have been very impressed with it. But NAF products are generally very good.

Thanks, I will look into it.

Jem_Cots, I cant wean yet for reasons which I wont go into but im aware it may be the solution:(