More puppy house training.

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
We got a Patterdale bitch puppy a week ago, now 9 weeks old.
I've never had a puppy before, although I've had adult dogs, and my husband has never had a house dog before, only outside dogs.

How do you house/toilet train them?

I've had conflicting advice on rubbing their noses in it, should I smack her?

What has worked for you and your puppy?
confused.gif

Spudlet

Visit site
DON'T RUB HER NOSE IN IT!!!! It doesn't work and is not nice - it may even lead to her eating her own mess.

You will get lots of good advice here I'm sure
smile.gif

It's all about positive reinforcement and getting a good routine going so accidents become fewer. You need to take her outside regularly, wait with her until she goes and then praise when she does so she gets that outside is the place to go. Smacking her would just make her fearful, but she won't necessarily get why she is being punished , so it won't achieve your goal.

Cedars

Visit site
Hiya,

Well we are picking our puppy up in a few weeks time but I thought I'd tell you the info that I've read.

Never rub their noses in it - they don't understand. Never yell at them either because they'll learn to hide it from you (and finding wee or worse behind your favourite sofa wont be fun). Basically just take them outside every hour, and then give them LOADS of praise when they go outside, and if they go inside just clean it up (get rid of the smell because otherwise they might learn to keep going in the same place) and ignore them, don't give them any attention at all.

I think its mostly a matter of perserverance and also having eyes on the back of your head!!

Hannah x

Oh and dont ever hit an animal!

mattilda

Visit site
As above. Reward good behaviour, ignore the bad. They are babies and will have accidents. They don't do it on purpose but because they don't know any better. Take her outside as often as you can and huge praise for a wee or a poo. After you have fed her take her out around 30 minutes later.
Be patient, it takes time. Some dogs get it really quickly, others, well it may take a while!!
Have fun.

CAYLA

Visit site
T erriers esp are a little more taxing when it comes to hpouse training, so a good routine from the get go, as above frequently place puppy outside, always after meal times and play times, and whenever it has been left for any period of time, this is the basis of your routine, u also need a smaller area to keep the puppy to help it hold onto it wee, pooh at times when u are not there, obs, these is a time limit with such a young puppy, but crates are fantastic for helping with house training, as they will tend to learn to hold on a little longer rather than pass motions in a small space meaning they would be standing in it, rather ran free reign, where they can wee and pooh and walk off and leave it for u to clear away
smirk.gif

Always keep the puppy in the same room as u, don't let it run all over the house, until a routine is established, so if they begin to pass a motion, u can quickly scoop them up and take them ouside to finish it, this way they are being placed in the designated pooh area
grin.gif

Spudlet

Visit site
Ahhh what a cute terrier-ist!

It's so frustrating sometimes isn't it? But you will look back eventually and you won't be able to remember just what it was that was so awful about it (that's the point when you end up getting another puppy because what's one more dog after all?
crazy.gif
)

Fiona

Visit site
SOOO cute!!!

Re terriers and house training. Our JRT came to us at 9 weeks, and after the first two nights she was clean at night. She had 3 or 4 accidents during the day when v excited (ie when people came) but other than that I trusted her completely after about two weeks.

Best of luck with your puppy.

Fiona

merlinsquest

Visit site
My pup is now 16 weeks old and still is only clean in the kitchen with the back door open
frown.gif

If the door to the rest of the house gets left open by mistake she is just as happy to wee in the hall
frown.gif

If I catch her, I growl and tell her she is bad dog..... put her outside and then praise her when she goes out there.

If there is no telling off at all, then how do they learn its not acceptable? I just want her to know its not right though, not to be scared of me
smile.gif

She is getting there, and when in her pen can go for a good time and not be dirty.... so that is where she goes when I cant watch her properly and the back door cant be left open
smile.gif