More saddle issues

Gorseyhorsey

Visit site
Following on from the other thread, I have the opposite problem, everything slips back, drops down in front and moves at the back. Pony has quite big shoulders and not so much behind, needs to build up behind the saddle but this isn't going to happen if saddle goes back all the time. I have three saddles that all do it, two were fitted to her, I use a breastplate but it gets very tight. I've tried various pads including grippy ones, they don't seem to make any difference. I am open to getting another saddle but don't really know what sort of saddle might work better, we don't have any saddlers that carry secondhand saddles to try out unfortunately. Any ideas/experiences gratefully received.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Obviously a better fitting saddle, whether it's this one tweaked, or another one, is your correct option. However, can you change girth straps? Using ones further back ie using the balance strap and a middle strap, can help. A wider girth gives more grip and can also help the girth from moving if that is contributing. The other thing is to try a front riser, ideally not a massive one, I like shim pads with thin shims so you can fine tune the lift.

Gorseyhorsey

Visit site
Thanks sbloom, saddler is booked but not sure how long before he can come. Not much choice for girthing on one saddle as all three straps are together, am already on 2nd and 4th on the other, could try the back two, am using a pro-choice girth for grip. Have tried various combinations of pads as one saddle was fitter a bit wide and have found a prolite with front riser works best but it's not enough. Haven't got a shim pad but have been looking out for one to add to the collection.

Are there any particular saddle features that generally help with this issue or is it just what fits each individual best?

sbloom

Generally instability issues are solved with flatter trees, certainly the way I fit, though it sometimes means going down a seat size which may not suit owners preferences, even though it's the best thing for the horse. And ultimately some riders are too big for their horses length of back. For a saddle that slides back then commonly it's because it's too wide/low in front.

I will say that most saddles I see that people think are slipping back were too far forwards to begin with :D.

Gorseyhorsey

Visit site
Thanks again, I've heard that saddles only 'slip back' to where they should be, but in this case they just keep on going! Think both tree'd saddles are fairly flat as she is quite straight along her back - an Ideal with a h & c tree (not the curved one) and a T/G jump saddle with the cob tree. The ideal is a bit wide which obviously isn't helping but I do think it sits well (with appropriate padding) - when it's in the right place, however it's a 'generous' 17" so that could also be a problem. I was wondering about going smaller. I've been trying breastplates that attaches to the girth rather than the saddle which is helping. Saddler is coming week after next to have a look, he suggested close contact can help with the issue, not sure I'll be able to find a suitable one to try by then though...

sbloom

Beware actual close contact saddles, usually for finer types of horses with shape to their back. I go for flat trees and semi close contact flocked panels, foam panels are seldom as flat. The two trees you have can work on some wide or flat shapes but by no means all.