More sheep worrying and £12,000 fine

Moobli

Visit site
I think the prospect of a large fine is the only thing that might deter some dog owners from allowing their dogs to roam.

As you know DR, we had one of our ewes attacked and killed yesterday in what can only be a dog attack - and a large, powerful dog at that. Her jaw was broken, she had various bite marks all over her body and her back ripped wide open. Horrendous. No one I have spoken to witnessed what happened unfortunately and our sheep graze the open hill, so are often not under our direct gaze.

A few years ago one of the gamekeepers caught a man with two large American bulldogs attacking our sheep - and being encouraged to do so!! It beggars belief! He was prosecuted and fined.

I have also seen things from the other side. 20 years ago my rescue GSD bitch escaped from me on a walk and chased some sheep. She was shot. It was an accident on my part but it was an avoidable accident and my dog ended up paying with her life (no sheep were harmed thankfully) and it is something I have never forgotten and haunts me to this day. I let her down badly. As a shepherd's wife, I can therefore sympathise that accidents do sometimes happen, but it is a worrying trend that dog attack incidents are on the increase and some dog owners don't realise (or simply don't care) of the potential danger they put the sheep or their own pet in.

Alec Swan

Visit site
A couple of points, ok four;

The Scottish Courts work in a different manner to those in England, I realise, but I'd have thought that the matter would have been dealt with in what here would be considered a Magistrates Court, and I 'think' that the maximum fine that can be levied here at Magistrate level is £5000 or there abouts. I'm surprised at the weight of the fine. That said, the hearts of all will go out to that poor man and the severity of the fine would seem to many to be justified.

I recently had my teleporter stolen, and though it was 8 years old and bought new by me it only had 380 hours on the clock, the NFU paid out immediately, generously and accepted my valuation.

Finally, the article you quoted DR had the final line; The NFU Mutual responded: …….. but then there was no quote.

My experience of the NFU has always been that they have treated me very fairly.

I have shot dogs which have been worrying and killing sheep and it's a job which I loathe. Killing a dog would be the last resort for me, though I understand entirely, how the poor chap must have felt and others too who are in the same boat. It's high time that the Courts started to hand down penalties which reflect the heartbreak which is the result of such careless owners. The owner of the sheep is fully entitled to compensation, and if not from the Courts, then the dog's owners. Come to think of it, I'm wondering if the enormity of the fine reflected an order of compensation. Is that how the Courts in Scotland work, does anyone know?

Alec.

Last edited:

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
A couple of points, ok four;

The Scottish Courts work in a different manner to those in England, I realise, but I'd have thought that the matter would have been dealt with in what here would be considered a Magistrates Court, and I 'think' that the maximum fine that can be levied here at Magistrate level is £5000 or there abouts. I'm surprised at the weight of the fine. That said, the hearts of all will go out to that poor man and the severity of the fine would seem to many to be justified.

I recently had my teleporter stolen, and though it was 8 years old and bought new by me it only had 380 hours on the clock, the NFU paid out immediately, generously and accepted my valuation.

Finally, the article you quoted DR had the final line; The NFU Mutual responded: …….. but then there was no quote.

My experience of the NFU has always been that they have treated me very fairly.

I have shot dogs which have been worrying and killing sheep and it's a job which I loathe. Killing a dog would be the last resort for me, though I understand entirely, how the poor chap must have felt and others too who are in the same boat. It's high time that the Courts started to hand down penalties which reflect the heartbreak which is the result of such careless owners. The owner of the sheep is fully entitled to compensation, and if not from the Courts, then the dog's owners. Come to think of it, I'm wondering if the enormity of the fine reflected an order of compensation. Is that how the Courts in Scotland work, does anyone know?

Alec.
I would think The Scottish Farmer will have full details.
There is no guarantee a farmer will get recompense: the dog owner may not have any money or insurance, and nor all farmers will be insured.

Alec Swan

Visit site
I would think The Scottish Farmer will have full details.
…….. .

I still wonder why they failed to quote the response from the NFU, having mentioned that they had one. The Scottish Farmer, also stated that the dog owner was fined £12000 ???? and with a row of question marks. I'm wondering what was the relevance of those QMs.

Alec.

ETS, since typing the above, I've re-read the SF article and the question marks have been deleted as has the line drawing reference to an NFU quote. Odd, to say the least!

Last edited:

Dry Rot

Visit site
I still wonder why they failed to quote the response from the NFU, having mentioned that they had one. The Scottish Farmer, also stated that the dog owner was fined £12000 ???? and with a row of question marks. I'm wondering what was the relevance of those QMs.

Alec.

ETS, since typing the above, I've re-read the SF article and the question marks have been deleted as has the line drawing reference to an NFU quote. Odd, to say the least!

Sounds as if things might be heading for a land mark case and they don't want to jeapodise the trial. 'They' will certainly be looking to make an example of the dog owner if only to get a message across to the public and to dog owners generally. Not a lot of use, in my opinion, without something being done to adress the ignorance and stupidity concerning dog ownership that is widespread.

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
Glad to read this and I hope it makes dog owners take note. Ive just invested in a little enterprise myself of a starter flock of kerryhills... we’ve previously had problems with a local dog in chasing my ponies, the owner was aware and was sorry but admitted they couldn’t catch it and it was just running loose, they said they accepted it was their responsibility but I doubt they realise the extent of what that could be! The impact of what this could do to my ewes once they are in lamb is now hitting home!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Picture of someone's dogs attacking sheep, her registration plate and her on local Facebook page yesterday. Hope she gets similar, stupid woman.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Last edited:

Nicnac

Visit site
In Italy they are still using the maremmana sheep guarding dogs ,and the bergamascos....the dogs are discrete,they don't attack the normal bypassers but God help any intrusive dog in their field of sheep..why don't British shepherds use these type of dogs to guard their flocks?y

http://www.pastoretransumante.com/informazioni/carattere-e-comportamento/
And hope they pics work..

https://www.google.it/search?q=mare...ved=0ahUKEwjXgcSjzP_OAhVMB8AKHU7LBcQQ_AUIBygB

That's interesting. Am sure Alec will know the answer or Ffionwinnie.

Alec Swan

Visit site
In Italy they are still using the maremmana sheep guarding dogs ,and the bergamascos....the dogs are discrete,they don't attack the normal bypassers but God help any intrusive dog in their field of sheep..why don't British shepherds use these type of dogs to guard their flocks?y

……..

Of the several million(?) sheep in the UK, the instances of sheep being killed by domestic dogs is actually quite rare and there really wouldn't be much point to leaving dogs out in fields, probably 24/7 and in all weathers, and the attendant problems concerning the dog's welfare, assuming that it would actually stay with the sheep and not decide to come home!

Sheep in Italy are kept (generally) under an entirely different regime than here in the UK and to protect them from night time carnivores, the larger flocks are either brought in at night, or there is an attending shepherd with them if they're grazing in the mountains.

There's also the question that dogs which are used for guarding purposes, by law, have to be under the control of a human, whilst they're 'working'.

Alec.

Moobli

Visit site
Our hill sheep (in Scotland) graze spread over 1000s of acres of upland and are light, wild, flighty types. They are lambed on the hills (and so would never be in a position to get used to LGD pups as lambs). The type of shepherding in the uplands of the UK is very different to that in Italy where LGDs are so valuable. Lowland sheep kept in fields could possibly be protected by LGDs but we are unfortunate enough to have the draconian Dangerous Dogs Act in this country, where you can have your dog seized and destroyed for "being dangerously out of control" (and this can include dogs that do not even bite, but just put a person in fear of their safety).

"Section 3 creates a criminal offence of allowing any dog (i.e. of any breed or type) to be dangerously out of control in a public place or a place to where it is not allowed. A dog can be regarded as being dangerously out of control on any occasion where it causes fear or
apprehension to a person that it may injure them. Furthermore, if that dog does injure a person then the offence is aggravated. Legal action may be taken against the owner and/or the person in charge of the dog at the time."