More spark needed for young horse

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Hi, I have a rising 5yo who seems to have lost his spark. He moves beautifully and is performing very well, supple and willing, but is looking sleepy and not being quite as springy as he can be. He is worked 4 days a week for 30mins-1hr and is fit, fed a bowl of alfa-a oil and speedibeet twice daily. on Ad lib hay when in, the grass isn't great in the field but there is lots of it. Any suggestions? Thanks

LeannePip

Visit site
He's still young and probably still doing some growing, this can take a lot out of them at this time of year especially as the grass is poor, added to working as well. I'd be giving a week or two off in the field to perk up a bit.

Could also be a mild virus, but again, time off in the field for this would do no harm - bring back in 10 days and re assess

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Yes probably right, he's not very mature yet and has lots of growing to do. My other youngsters are bouncing all over the place at this time of year! but he is a sleepy chap, bless him.

Mike007

Visit site
There are numerous ones .I always trust Heygates ,also spillers. Top spec isnt cheap by balancer standards but is good too.

Shay

Visit site
The Dengie website is clear - Alpha A is not designed to be a stand alone feed it needs a balancer too. Even more so for youngstock I should think. You probably can pick pretty much anything on the list - or go with the one Dengie recommend. But definitely add a balencer / vit min supplement of some form

catkin

Visit site
Have a look at the ForagePlus range of balancers. The company is very good with advice too.

A 4 1/2 yo will still be doing a lot of growing and probably teething too. Also he will still be learning to use his body carrying a rider and conditioning muscles, bone, tendons - that's quite a bit going on.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Hes only just started the alfa a oil and has gone a bit sluggish since, I will go to the feed shop and get something today. He's not worked hard, taking it slowly with him, particularly slowly at the moment as we are waiting for his saddle to be made! Sure he will pick up again soon, he just seemed so full of himself all winter and I prefer him like that!

Nicnac

Visit site
Our rising 5 yo has just shot up another inch and is moulting. We are giving him two weeks off to even out again. He's fed Pure Condition which includes the balancer and he is usually sparky.

Think coming out of winter, moulting, grass a bit crap and growing has taken it out of him a bit (and his work is carefully managed so not overworked).

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Hi, I have a rising 5yo who seems to have lost his spark. He moves beautifully and is performing very well, supple and willing, but is looking sleepy and not being quite as springy as he can be. He is worked 4 days a week for 30mins-1hr and is fit, fed a bowl of alfa-a oil and speedibeet twice daily. on Ad lib hay when in, the grass isn't great in the field but there is lots of it. Any suggestions? Thanks

Hi H_P.... I was here where you are last year. Agree, do feed a balancer if you can find a quality one with no iron as UK soil plentiful. Try Forage plus or Equimins, or prog earth on ebay. To be fair to your horse 5yo is when they put a lot of effort into growing so be sympathetic - growing pains and all that. Even the top young horses get a break. Harness the energy when you have it, draw back when he's telling you it's too much. Mine is rising 6 and she still has days where even walking from the stable to the field is a effort! :D

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would give the forage plus winter performance balancer and 150 Grammes of linseed a day along with your usual diet and see how you go .
It's not a lot of work not enough to make a healthy 5yo tired I would keep keeping a close eye on him .

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
To be honest I think some of it may be laziness :eek: , he is a Connie and I've had enough young connies to know that most like to take life at a relaxed pace! I am happy to let him chill, I don't want to start competing him properly until he is a few weeks over 5 . He's just done a handful of shows through the winter and now getting him ready to do some low level stuff this summer, next year we will do some tougher stuff. I've been to the feed shop and spent a small fortune on feed , including the D+H ultimate balancer so I will see how he does on it with a few days off :) He will eat anything so at least I don't have that worry!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I know a whole bunch of Connies and without exception they are the most forward going ponies and small horses you'd ever wish to meet.

Like most people above, I would not recommend any balancer with added iron. Unfortunately, I think that probably includes the one you've just bought!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Oh dear haha, I can easily go and buy another. Most of my connies are relaxed and laid back, I have had a couple of more forward ones, but I have a very relaxed approach with them (usually!) , so it's probably my influence :eek: They all perform brilliantly and have made great competition ponies so I am happy with that :D . This chap is still doing very well, but if I can give him a boost, it's a plus :)