More team chasing questions...

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
So it looks like I am going team chasing after all... having never been, I've got a couple of questions for those who've done it or know about it. Apologies if these are really stupid or obvious!

I presume at some point you must get to walk the course?
Studs... yes or no? I know they are a big no-no for hunting but I do stud for XC sometimes. Is the protocol the same as for hunting, or can I / should I stud? Horse doesn't kick, wouldn't dream of it.

I think that's it for now, thanks!

ihatework

Visit site
Yes you can walk the course and yes stud according to ground conditions (although the courses are generally less twist/technical than event courses, which makes slippage less of an issue)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Walking of the course - the winners tend to do this the best ;)
Really consider the course as a whole, speed, turns and linking the fences in the best possible way.

The same could be said for XC course walking I think though! ;) Or even SJ course walking, as I am testament to since I don't walk my turns tightly enough then end up hacking round and getting millions of time penalties, apparently stopping for a cuppa along the way!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
One more question (then no more, I promise! ;) )...

What to do about bits? Horse does everything in a NS Verbindend, the only thing I change is the addition of a flash (from just a plain cavesson for DR/ hacking) for SJ, XC and generally exciting things. He rarely pulls and isn't especially strong, however this summer he's discovered his fifth "GOGOGO" gear, adores XC and is generally much fitter and stronger than he's ever been. He has been gradually getting stronger throughout the season on the XC; I haven't changed the bit up to now but after our last event was considering it. Am I better to switch to something stronger for the TC? I suspect the answer is probably yes! I don't want him backing off because the bit is too strong, but maybe switching to something like a waterford snaffle might just stop him taking hold too much during the excitement of the whole thing...