More than 20 horses found in Derbyshire

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
It says some of the horses are chipped but the chips aren't registered. Why do people do this, there's no point in chipping a horse if you don't register it? :(

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It says some of the horses are chipped but the chips aren't registered. Why do people do this, there's no point in chipping a horse if you don't register it? :(

I assumed the vets register the chip when they install it. Am I wrong? The only time I have rung petlog is when I get a new horse that is chipped to change the details. I am now worried my horse might not be registered as I got her chipped when I had her vetted.

twiggy2

Visit site
I assumed the vets register the chip when they install it. Am I wrong? The only time I have rung petlog is when I get a new horse that is chipped to change the details. I am now worried my horse might not be registered as I got her chipped when I had her vetted.

depends on the vets, the chip will e registered to a vet though and should be registered to an owners file internally if inplanted by a vet. Problem arises when owners move.

keri66

Visit site
I've just seen something on Facebook about this .
It appears not to be as many as stated.
Also people don't change chips over because some companies charge £15 which is excessive for 5 minutes work on a pc. At one tine it cost £5 which is reasonable
The same with passports

madlady

Visit site
My lot are all chipped and the chip is logged on their registration papers, with my vet and with the breed association

OWLIE185

Visit site
The micro-chipping issue is a total nightmare as there are at least 7 different systems and the scanner for one system will not recognise micro-chips from other systems.
When Micro-chips are implanted most vets don't bother to register the details of the owner with the appropriate register.
In fact many systems don't even have their own register.
This is why Micro-chipping is a complete waste of time.
Freeze marking is far better as anyone can see and read a freezemark.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Freeze marking is far better as anyone can see and read a freezemark.

I think there would be the same issues. Reading a freeze mark is the easy bit but if it isn't registered or registration details changed when the horse changes hands then you won't be able to find the owner......same as micro chips.