Morning rider or afternoon rider?

Chestersmummy

Visit site
My horse is better if I ride in the morning before he's turned out. All my others have been the opposite, to the point where one was impossible to ride until he'd been out for a hour.
Just wondered if my horse was alone in prefering to get his work done and then chill for the rest of the day?

The Fuzzy Furry

🦄 🦄
Visit site
Big Fuzzy is the same, likes to have breakfast & a half wedge of hay while I do the yard chores & after digesting brekkie etc, we go out :)
Ok in the afternoon, but attention span goes & is not as responsive as morning work

By later in the day I've lost impetus by then anyway :D

Misog2000

Visit site
Mine is a monster if I try and school in the morning - she doesn't mind going out for a hack though! She is just generally easier once she has been out for a bit :)

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
This has never crossed my Ming before ?!! I am a morning person, always have been so will always intend to ride first thing. If no by the afternoon I'm normally preoccupied elsewhere and don't bother. Feel really bad that in 25 yrs of riding I never once considered what my horses prefer!!

Kat

Visit site
Mine is pretty much the same to ride but her manners in the stable while I groom and tack up are much better after she's been turned out.

BlueCakes

Visit site
I like to ride first thing in the morning or of an evening after work (quite later at approx 8pm)

My horse however is definitely an afternoon/ evening person. I think he just likes to warm himself up slowly throughout the day.

forestfantasy

Visit site
I must say that mine doesn't really mind, although she is move forward going if i ride before i turn out in a morning.
I prefer to ride in a morning before mucking out otherwise i lose all my motivation by the end of the day! (well in winter at least!)

In the summer they're out 24/7 so i really enjoy getting in from work at 5:30 and going for an evening hack when its cooler :)

KAZJAZ

Visit site
In winter he is definately better suited to being ridden in the morning, he gets a hay net for 20mins or so whilst i groom / tack up then gets his breakfast after we have ridden, in the afternoon he just wants to come in and settle down for the night.

Summer either morning or night he isnt fussy.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Current yard Kal's out at night so as long as he's had time to have his breakfast and a short doze he doesn't mind working in the morning. Previous yard he was in at night and out during the day and worked muuuuuuch better if he'd had at least an hour in the field before working. He loves being out and is quite opinionated (not to mention having the attention span of a gnat) so does need to get out and sort his head out before he is able to concentrate on the task at hand in the school.

P

Natz88

Visit site
Mine are happy to be ridden morning or afternoon. During the week I ride in the afternoon as my mum turns them out before work & then I bring in, but weekends I normaly ride morning :)

Suziq77

Visit site
If I tried to ride one of mine before she'd been out to the field I would probably die! She is however perfectly happy to be caught 15 minutes after going out, it's just that she wants to check her field is still there first. The other one couldn't give a stuff what she does when, it's all good in her view.

Roll on the summer when they're out at night and I can ride early before work...

LouS

Visit site
Whenever really, but I prefer morning simply because he has his silly brain on after he's been turned out. Its much easier in the summer though, I tend to ride either 6am or after 6pm when its far too hot and that is pleasant. I do like a late evening summer ride.

JFTDWS

Visit site
My horses don't care: morning, afternoon, evening, middle of the night... But I normally ride in the afternoon / evening because it tends to suit me better (not a morning person)...

CatStew

Visit site
I'd prefer to ride in the mornings as I work full time and don't finish work til 6pm - I ride in the evenings and don't get home until 8ish. I have insomnia and often wake up around 4am and can't get back to sleep, so I'd rather get up early and ride before I muck out, and then go home and get ready for work, but as it's dark in the mornings still (although I've noticed it is starting to get a bit lighter :D), I can't hack out as we do have to do a fair bit of roadwork to get to any bridleways, and I don't think it would be fair of me to go into the school, which is right next to YO's house, and the floodlights in the school are extremely bright! YO is an elderly gentleman who doesn't have a great deal to do with the yard now and I wouldn't wish to disturb him so early in the morning! I'm looking forward to spring when it's light enought to ride in the mornings though! My mare is better to be ridden after being turned out all day, otherwise she tends to be quite sharp and spooky. I don't think my gelding is bothered either way as long as he gets some affection!!

Sarah1

Visit site
He's no different if ridden morning or afternoon, straight from stable or from field etc - He's quite flexible really!

I personally like to ride in the morning after doing all the chores :)