Most expensive livery yard - featured in H&H?

Widgeon

Visit site
I read somewhere recently about a livery yard somewhere in the South of England that charged about £1400 per month for full livery - can anyone think which one it might be? I think I probably got to it via a H&H article or something posted on this forum. It had a very fancy website that I now can't find, and it had prices listed out on the site.

Perhaps I should also say that I am not considering this yard for my own use - I just wanted another look and have forgotten what the name was!!

If anyone has other suggestions of amazingly expensive yards I will happily browse those too...

dogatemysalad

Visit site
It does include exercise, horse walker and on hand grazing etc. 15 years ago I remember paying £400 p/w for a very lovely youngster to have consolidation training. Admittedly, it was only for 6 weeks, but it was money well spent. It gave her a fabulous introduction for competition life.
Apart from that, I just pay £30 for bog standard DIY.

Widgeon

Visit site
Thanks cobgoblin! I don't think that was the one I saw originally but that doesn't really matter TBH. I think I'm with you Rowreach, I'd want more than that too, particularly as it looks like there's no winter turnout.

Ah this looks like another procrastination activity, finding the most expensive livery yard I can. As context, the reason I originally started trying to find this one again was following a lunchtime lottery related conversation leading to "how could anyone spend £10K a month?"

Lee Valley does look nice considering that it's so close to central London.

Widgeon

Visit site
It does include exercise, horse walker and on hand grazing etc. 15 years ago I remember paying £400 p/w for a very lovely youngster to have consolidation training. Admittedly, it was only for 6 weeks, but it was money well spent. It gave her a fabulous introduction for competition life.
Apart from that, I just pay £30 for bog standard DIY.

Yes, I'm certainly not arguing that it is bad value for money - horses are expensive and so are good staff.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
This was the one I thought of from a recent thread.
Sounds lush.

South East, Herts area (so inc. London workers within it's catchment) - the 5 star palatial pad that is Netherwylde costs over £1,000pcm http://netherwyldeequestrian.com/

Most would be around £600-800pcm for a top end yard but without quite so many whistles and bells. Generally this is full livery but whether that includes things like tack cleaning, exercise depends on the yard.

The other thing about summerhouse is it's a major show centre so always be stuff happening on site which would be pretty ace as a livery if you were competitive.

Nicnac

Visit site
Both Farley and Netherwylde are well over £1k a month. They are pretty amazing though and suit people who have jobs with extremely long hours down to a tee as also offer full comp prep of your horse so it's a turn up and load up job. Some liveries can only ride one evening a week and the weekends so great to have horse fully exercised and kept fit in the meantime.

The above actually have all year T/O whereas Summerhouse only has Summer. Guess some of their facilities aren't available either on show days so the others are far nicer imo and offer good hacking too.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I was about to mention Netherwylde, I used to be at a yard that backed onto the same bridlepaths, lots of yards did. You could always spot the Netherwylde people as they looked very smart and slightly nervous about being out and about. Probably not helped by a barely groomed ex racer appearing round the corner at a canter. I always slow down though.

I wasn't keen on some of the turnout though The paddocks on the website look nice but there was some visible from a bridlepath that was small individual plots split with electric fencing. I get that people with £30,000 horses are worried about injuries but these little pens wouldn't be what I would want.

Widgeon

Visit site
This was the one I thought of from a recent thread.

Yes! Thanks Milliepops, Netherwylde is the one! Criso I agree about the little electric paddocks, but I suppose the slightly sad thing is that they are very standard now, and as you say I understand that it's a risk - gain assessment for each individual.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Maybe just me, but for £1400 a month I'd want more than a couple strands of old, dingy tape separating the horses, it's the first thing I saw!

I'd expect individual loose boxes as well, rather than indoor stabling for that price.

Bernster

Visit site
I did wonder if you might mean Netherwylde. I'm near where Criso was, we share the same hacking as N/W. They only seem to do indiv turnout which is the biggest no no for me. Horses need company in the same field imo. But it does have stable webcams so you can really procrastinate!

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Yes! Thanks Milliepops, Netherwylde is the one! Criso I agree about the little electric paddocks, but I suppose the slightly sad thing is that they are very standard now, and as you say I understand that it's a risk - gain assessment for each individual.

Yes though it wouldn't be my thing and there are at least 3 or 4 yards in the same area that I would choose first. However for that sort of money I would expect a bigger patch of grass and post and rails - I bit like the fields on the website.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
For that money I'd want my tack cleaned once a week.

For less than that by a long chalk, even allowing for inflation since 1985, I got my tack cleaned every time it was taken off the horse!

Landcruiser

Visit site
I would hate full livery on one of these places. Turning up, tacking up (or even having horse ready tacked up), riding and then leaving horse to be sorted out by staff. That Farley Estate one doesn't even let you hay your own horse. They only feed Dodson and Horrel. Even if I were rich enough to livery there, I'd want much more control, more hands on, much more connection with my horse. It all seems so - impersonal. To me, it's another world, but I prefer my own, hard slog, mud, long days and all.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I would hate full livery on one of these places. Turning up, tacking up (or even having horse ready tacked up), riding and then leaving horse to be sorted out by staff. That Farley Estate one doesn't even let you hay your own horse. They only feed Dodson and Horrel. Even if I were rich enough to livery there, I'd want much more control, more hands on, much more connection with my horse. It all seems so - impersonal. To me, it's another world, but I prefer my own, hard slog, mud, long days and all.

Maybe it's for owners that are too s**t scared to go near their own horses?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Prime example of reverse snobbery
this!
I am on a yard where about 50% are on full exercise livery. It's not for me, but the owners have normal kinds of horses and are doing normal kind of jobs, some work away from home and just can't get back to do their horses every day. At least they are kept fit enough for what they want to do and get a good standard of care in between owner visits. Nothing to do with being afraid of them. Don't see why it would be any different at a top priced yard.

be positive

Visit site
Maybe it's for owners that are too s**t scared to go near their own horses?

Or owners who know they cannot take care of their horse properly due to lack of time, shift work, having numerous other commitments so prefer to pay for the privilege of being able to enjoy quality time with it, I have had hands off owners who have been more than capable of caring for their horses but cannot do so to the standard they want, not that my yard is of the type on this thread but the horse is the priority whoever owns it and if the owner can afford to pay for full livery then why shouldn't they, the horses don't care who mucks them out but do know who rides them and spends time giving that extra fuss when they come to visit.