Most Fattening Supplement

Frazer

Visit site
Basically like the subject says - What is the most fattening supplement you have used, or puts weight on the most/fastest. What do you use to put weight on your horse?
wink.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
Lard? Failing that - do you feed haylage? I've heard it works wonders and just added 1 slice a night to Ty's hay to fatten him up....

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I don't think any of the supplements put weight on.... you can feed things like pro/prebiotics to ensure they're digesting/utilising their feed properly.

To put weight on I would feed barley or something like speedibeet. My horse certainly doesn't need any help with putting on or keeping weight on though!

Iestyn

Visit site
Good quality forage - haylage maybe? Add oil to the diet - normal vegetable oil or maybe something like Alfa A with added oil. I swear by Baileys Top-line cubes for by lightweight TB. However if you are going to feed then your horse will need a regular exercise programme as well to convert the increased feed and calories into muscle and not just fat.

TGM

Visit site
Oil is most fattening in terms of calories in relation to weight. However, hard feed and supplements are just a small part of the story - it is important to ensure that a horse in poor condition gets lots of good quality forage - grass and/or hay and/or haylage.

TGM

Visit site
Just wanted to clarify my previous post to say that oil is most fattening in terms of calories in relation to weight of feed. Ie oil is a very calorie-dense feed so you get a lot of calories from a relatively little amount.

cobweb

Visit site
We had a cob who was difficult to keep weight on, we overcame it by feeding ad lib hay and splitting his feed into 3 meals a day, as horses stomach's are relatively small, so they digest better with little and often. We feed Dobson & Horrell 'Build Up', No 4 Conditioning cubes, chaff and sugar beet, oil and fenugreek seeds as a supplement.