Most hilarious news article by DailyFail

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I've often wondered the same. Standards of modern journalism are often pretty dire. It's not just equestrianism, the lack of research spans across the board. Articles about boats, planes etc are also written without any basic knowledge.
In this case, it's only mildly irritating, rather than crucial. I recall living in Belfast in the early 80s and despairing at the bbc news reports at the time. It seemed that none of their reporters had ever left the news room and lived what they were so confidently reporting on.

humblepie

Visit site
I used to get cross when they called Princess Anne a show jumper rather than an eventer. Oh for those days of reporting. What is really sad is that back in time the Daily Mail sponsored the leading junior show jumper of the year at HOYS along with Christy Beaufort the hat company. I even won a competition with the Daily Mail to join their equestrian sports writer Brian Giles at Olympia.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
The thing that astounds me is that the journalist has taken this article to an editor and then to their boss, who has then approved it to go online.. they don't just write some stuff out and pop it online.
Madness.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
You're all missing the point. The article isn't about showjumping, horses, or sport in any shape or form.

The article is about hogging your eyeballs for a few minutes.

The name on this article (Mark Mcgreal) is on another 33 "articles" in the past week... and this screenshot will give you an idea of what kinds of subjects they cover.

Screenshot from 2022-06-28 12-01-47.png

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would lay money they've translated this using Google Translate from a partial French write-up, leading to the second-language feel of the commentary...

I know what you mean but I'm not sure a knowledgeable French speaker would go on and on about a showjumper's clothes, which are exactly the same as all the other competitors'.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I strongly suspect that a bot has written this; it is increasingly common to use them for low level written stuff and it would not be astonishing if the DM has taken that route...

I think you may be right. Automated Journalism is increasing across news sites.