Mother and daughter share?

windand rain

Visit site
Think it depends on the age of daughter a mother ambititious tenager share would need to have talents in shifting up and down gears to suit both mum and 10 and under might be looking for a gem of a pony that can up a gear ot two for mum or vice versa

windand rain

Visit site
might be if mum and daughter are both older experienced riders but it would be very unusual to find one that size to suit a smallish child

Pippity

Visit site
The mother/daughter shares I've known have been around 16hh, mum hacks and maybe does a bit of dressage, teenage daughter showjumps. So basically all-rounders who are capable of switching up/down depending on the rider.

It's a pretty useless term, tbh.

J&S

Visit site
I don't think a mother/daughter share needs to be so big. (16 hh) I bought a 3 yr old, put her in foal, broke her in and she became my step daughter's PC team pony and my own RC team pony, she made 14.3 hh full grown and is just about a middle weight.

Asha

Visit site
we bought a mother /daughter share. 16hds ID gelding, id describe him as a kind safe quality all rounder. Only problem being i didnt get to share as the daughter completely took over so had to buy another one;)

ihatework

Visit site
I generally think of them in the 14.2hh-16hh bracket that will do a variety of jobs. So essentially just a nice allrounder.

smolmaus

Visit site
I feel sorry for all the fathers and sons out there. Are they not allowed to share too? :rolleyes:;)
NO THEY ARE NOT no boys in the (pony)clubhouse

I have seen father/ son or mother/son share a few times, mostly for bigger hunter types. Only remember because it was so unusual of course. Made me wonder if they were just admitting the horse would pull the arms off your average teenage girl.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Ive got a cracking Mother/Daughter share & it means just that - my daughter competes & schools her & I happy hack her - shes 14.2hh & has the temperament, versatility, & stamp, to step up or step down

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
So not the 17.1 tb and 17.2 Irish Draught I saw advertised on fb today as mother/daughter share??

Depends how old and experienced both riders are. The horse could take mum hunting while competing with daughter but it does seem a bit of an odd way to advertise the horse.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I understand the meaning of it, as per the above comments, but it does wind me up (most things do at the moment to be fair!) as a written phrase! I think because I'm a guy for a start and then also because a good horse should be described as a good horse, not just a sweeping statement like 'mother/ daughter share' if its good for a quieter adult and a jumping mad teenager then say that, dont just be lazy with an advert ... thats another pet peeve of mine, lazy ar*s adverts!!!

Hallo2012

Visit site
our 13.2hh sec C would be an ideal m/d share- he will plod for a nervous child but if a bigger more experienced jockey gathers him up he will ping along like a welsh dragon.

never ever bucks or spooks etc but looks flashy and full of fire whilst being 1000% safe.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I understand the meaning of it, as per the above comments, but it does wind me up (most things do at the moment to be fair!) as a written phrase! I think because I'm a guy for a start and then also because a good horse should be described as a good horse, not just a sweeping statement like 'mother/ daughter share' if its good for a quieter adult and a jumping mad teenager then say that, dont just be lazy with an advert ... thats another pet peeve of mine, lazy ar*s adverts!!!

In much the same way as it winds me up when a lorry is described as a lady’s box probably ??

I think the description in the OP is more something that can be used to describe any horse which can suit several different riders, just the same as “bay gelding “ or “good to show” is. Could be a chunky 13.2 or a 17.2 hunter.

As a heading for an ad however it’s a bit meaningless.

Annagain

Visit site
So not the 17.1 tb and 17.2 Irish Draught I saw advertised on fb today as mother/daughter share??
I feel sorry for all the fathers and sons out there. Are they not allowed to share too? :rolleyes:;)

I stopped sharing Monty (17hh hunter type) because his owner's very novicey, then-12-yr-old son started riding him too and at 23 he didn't need to be serving three riders. He was perfect at the job despite his size. His owner had SJ'ed him, I had evented him so he was very experienced and could pass that experience on to his novice rider. He was talented and incredibly honest but lazy so never said no but never gave the job in hand any more energy than the minimum required which also made him very safe for a novice kid but would do everything his mum and I asked of him too. He'd also have been great for a more experienced / gutsy kid.

Her son went straight from a 13hh pony to Monty after getting a bit of a scare on the beach when said pony got a bit too excited so mum rode the pony and he rode Monty. I stayed with him on my other boy just walking while mum galloped the excitement from the pony. We just walked quietly as pony disappeared off into the distance - but I only managed it as I stuck Archie up Monty's back side so he couldn't see the pony galloping off in front! Monty wouldn't have dreamed of going after him without being asked. That's how trustworthy he was. He's 25 now and has definitely earned his retirement.

Antw23uk

Visit site
In much the same way as it winds me up when a lorry is described as a lady’s box probably ??

I think the description in the OP is more something that can be used to describe any horse which can suit several different riders, just the same as “bay gelding “ or “good to show” is. Could be a chunky 13.2 or a 17.2 hunter.

As a heading for an ad however it’s a bit meaningless.

Yes, yes that as well. That really annoys me, hahaa I am laughing to myself today because im in such a foul mood, lol, i really need to either go home and isolate or get a grip, lol!

Antw23uk

Visit site
That's like OH and me sharing the driving on nights out. He drives there, I drive home. :rolleyes:

Same, I am designated driver on the way home because i dont drink ...... I figure he needs to be drunk to get in the car with me when its dark, i cant see for the life of me, lol!!!!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Same, I am designated driver on the way home because i dont drink ...... I figure he needs to be drunk to get in the car with me when its dark, i cant see for the life of me, lol!!!!

I drink, he doesn't, but his driving terrifies me so I'd rather stay off the drink and do the driving :eek:

Back to the thread, most of my horses have ended up being mother/son shares, since he was about 12 and started riding my huge horses. Nowadays we've kind of gone in opposite directions and I have a short cob and he is far too tall for her.