Motorbikes on a bridleway??

Nativelover

Visit site
Are motorbikes, well scrambler bikes, allowed on a bridleway. I took my pony home today to ride around my quiet rural village and on the way back up my farm lane was confronted by 3 men on scramblers. Pony was fine as he's not that bothered by things but, had I been up on the moor having a good canter I'd have met these 3 presumably travelling at speed too!
I didn't know they were able to go on bridleways??

millikins

Visit site
No they aren't But if the bridleway is classed as a BOAT, byway open to all traffic, they can use it. We have loads road us, they are about 99% thoughtful and usually horse savvy.

millikins

Visit site
Either buy an Ordnance Survey map for your area, or your local council should have an interactive map on line which will show all routes.

Nativelover

Visit site
Thanks! Just done some quick googling and cannot find any information about the area being a BOAT. It just says that it's a bridleway and part of it is a national cycle route. So I'm thinking they shouldn't have been there. Next time I see them I might mention that it's a bridleway.

fatpiggy

Visit site
We used to have them on our bridleways too, and near where I now live there are tracks which have big signs top and bottom stating that motorbikes are not allowed, but that doesn't stop them. And boy do they go at speed too! I wish you luck in trying to stop them, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

benz

Visit site
Do they have permission from the landowner? We have a Bridleway through work and we ride our quads on it.

OWLIE185

Visit site
The answer is that motorised vehicles are not allowed on a Bridleway or a Restricted Byway. If you want to put a stop to this then discretely get their registration number and report them to the police and your local access department. Avoid confrontation with them.
If you want to know the classification of a path/route then contact the definitive map officer at your local county Council.
Regarding farmers quad bikes and vehicles travelling along public footpaths, bridleways or byways with the landowners/farmers permission then they must not damage them and if they do then they are required to reinstate them.

Nativelover

Visit site
It's definitely a bridle path and the land is national trust moorland, I cant remember seeing licence plates on the bikes. It's the first time I've ever seen bikes on the lane but I will be keeping an eye out for them in the future!!