Moulting???

pottamus

My lad has started to shed hairs of his coat...does he know something I dont or is it just that everything is confused because we have had no cold weather? Anyone elses horses starting to shed a bit?

Polos Mum

Just posted this on the light at 5pm thread - yep mine has his coat coming out in handfuls. I'd love to believe him as we've barely even had a frost yet but sadly I suspect it's more to do with the day length than his weather forecasting.

Actually cancel that I'd like some cold weather so we can be mud free for a few days.

Tess Love

My lad has started to shed hairs of his coat...does he know something I dont or is it just that everything is confused because we have had no cold weather? Anyone elses horses starting to shed a bit?
Out of interest what breed is he as friends NF is moulting like mad but my Welsh D nothing?

HaffiesRock

This time last year a similar thread came out and I remember posting that my yak was still holding on to his hair, only to find him the next day in full on moult! So I expect my NF and Haffy will start shedding tomorrow, followed by the freezing weather the next day!

texas

The only one of mine moulting is the one fully clipped and living out in a m/w neckless rug, who is losing the regrowth.

catkin

Mine change coat colour very slightly a few days before they start shedding. Noticed it a few days ago - sure enough, they've started losing the fur today.

TandD

Yep....roll on the hairy human! All be finished by May......then July hits and I'm back to looking like some yeti x chimp thing!

Soooo one last clip of the winter coming up!

Spot_the_Risk

Clipped on Saturday (just a bib) as the veteran with a coat like a mammoth is starting to shed - I noticed a build up of loose hair behind the saddle today when OH was riding. The two youngers ones are hanging onto their much thinner coats.

crazyhorse37

Mine always starts on the shortest day of the year. Most of the horses at my yard are moulting a little already. It's to do with the daylight hours, as soon as the days get lighter it triggers them to start loosing their coat - totally normal.

MochaDun

It's the change in the length of daylight that kicks off the moult - shortest day was a month ago. Like others, my native/cob cross underway since then - though amount of hair he does shed of a day seems to be based on the temperature variance at the moment.