Mount Ballan ODE

MegaBeast

Visit site
Looking a long way ahead here, but not seen many of the lower level BE events and seeing as I'm starting out eventing I was wondering where this would fit in to the scheme of things ie I walked the course several times when they ran PN/N there before the Intro went in and remember at the time thinking it looked nice and inviting and pretty straightforward. Would this be the general view of it? That is, is it one of the courses that would be considered suitable for first time at those levels?

And in ocmparison, how do the courses at West Wilts, Howick and Urchinwood compare? (to he Intro/PN)

Thanks

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I consider MB a meaty course at all levels. Not very long but up to height and some very clever questions. A good upgrade course.

SpottedCat

Visit site
Hmm, I thought Mount Ballan PN was actually quite meaty - the SJ was very def up to height and ended on a 1.10 oxer going uphill. West Wilts is nice for first timers at all levels.

MegaBeast

Visit site
Interesting, thanks. Useful to put it in perspective, at the time of walking I was riding a friend's horse a lot - an ex 3* horse of Mark Todd's that retired to open team chasing and was walking round going "yep, this would be fab to tackle on Toddy" but this was about three/four years ago in the days when I didn't think too much about things!

Where would Stockland Lovell and Cheltenham Intro's come in?

SpottedCat

Visit site
SLM is an upgrade course at all levels, not for the faint-hearted but really rewards bold horses and riders, one of my faves. Not been to Cheltenham since they beefed it up last year, but either way I'd be unlikely to go again as the ground is always like rock there, it is like eventing on concrete.

SpottedCat

Visit site
Pontispool is nice at all levels if your SJ is up to scratch, and Nutwell Court is the easiest of the easy if they have not changed it from last year, when they had seriously down-graded it at all levels. To the point that the corner I jumped which had no alternative IIRC in the PN the first year I went there was in the Novice with an alternative!!

Monmouth is a lovely mid-range event at all levels, I really like Monmouth.

TableDancer

Visit site
Would concur with most of the above comments, other than to say that the ground at Cheltenham was perfect last year but lec is right, it is often rock hard.

Howick is new this year, likely to be on the soft side I would say and no water for this time (hope to add in the future). Urchinwood is pretty uninspiring tbh, not big or difficult but a few quiestionable distances and lacking atmosphere. If you are going to spend all that money entering I'd probably go elsewhere. West Wilts always good at all levels - ground does get hard but they do their best with it.

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Would concur with most of the above comments, other than to say that the ground at Cheltenham was perfect last year but lec is right, it is often rock hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're doing it too! I promise Lec and I are two different people!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

LEC

www.youtube.com
Hahaha I am getting highly amused by being given credit for your comments.
grin.gif

Just proves I must talk more sense than you!!
shocked.gif

TableDancer

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're doing it too! I promise Lec and I are two different people!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL Sorry T - it's probably just because you and L look so alike
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

SpottedCat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hahaha I am getting highly amused by being given credit for your comments.
grin.gif

Just proves I must talk more sense than you!!
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I have become some kind of social pariah (points please Gamebird) and this will all stop once I am back in gainful employment? After all we all know how snobby horse people are, I suspect people just can't bear to associate with me currently so are trying to pretend I do not exist
grin.gif

Tabledancer - that'll be it, the uncanny resemblance between us, I can see just how people could get confused!!
tongue.gif

LEC

www.youtube.com
The only thing we have in common is our big mouths!
blush.gif

It must be tough being a social outcast but it quickly shuts salespeople at Badminton up when you tell them you are unemployed!

MegaBeast

Visit site
Urchinwood runs clear round XC monthly so thinking of going early June for a play to check it out.

Which is Nutwell Court? Seem to have missed that one when looking through my options

SpottedCat

Visit site
Nutwell Court is down near Exeter - it is really easy to get to down the M5. Only downside of an otherwise brilliant event is that they did not do anything to the SJ last year and it was very hard and stony. I would run intro and PN on it, but hesitate to take my novice horse there again - I'm going to email the organisers and ask whether they plan to spike it or not this year as I really do like the event.