Mountain Horse boots questions

Nari

Visit site
I've just bought a pair of the Classic II ones & they're so comfortable I think I'm in love! But before I go & buy a second pair (for the winter I like one to wear & one to dry) I wondered if anyone can tell me if they wear well or fall to pieces quickly?

Also is there much difference, apart from the price, between the Classic II & Classic? It's not like I'm wanting to spend hours stood in water so water repellent would probably be good enough if that's the only difference.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

sjmcc

Visit site
they tend to be better for just riding in not doing jobs n in the mud iv had 2 pair long boots n jod boots n both didnt stand upto mucking out n mud leather craked n stitching rotted theyr lovely to ride in n very comfy but rubbish in harsh weather

Shay

Visit site
My free riders will have lasted 3 years next month. I don't often muck out in them - but they've done everything else.

Nari

Visit site
Oh drat, I really can't be doing with changing boots for ridng & yard work. I'll maybe leave it awhile before ordering a second pair & see how they go.

Jul

Visit site
I don't know which ones the 'Classic' are - is it the Mountain Riders? In which case the new version is definitely a lot more waterproof than the original ones.

I love Mountain Horse boots but the only problem I have with them is durability - they're rubbish if you wear them all the time. However, as I've found nothing else as comfortable I've stuck with them anyway. The last pair I got were continually drenched throughout the summer as I washed the horses off after riding every day so the boots got wet. They lasted about 3 months before there were massive holes between the soles and the uppers. And I sprayed them with Scotchguard a few times.

So: Lovely they are; hardy they ain't!

sjmcc

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know which ones the 'Classic' are - is it the Mountain Riders? In which case the new version is definitely a lot more waterproof than the original ones.

I love Mountain Horse boots but the only problem I have with them is durability - they're rubbish if you wear them all the time. However, as I've found nothing else as comfortable I've stuck with them anyway. The last pair I got were continually drenched throughout the summer as I washed the horses off after riding every day so the boots got wet. They lasted about 3 months before there were massive holes between the soles and the uppers. And I sprayed them with Scotchguard a few times.

So: Lovely they are; hardy they ain't!

[/ QUOTE ] im with you on that but they should be the price we pay for them

Nari

Visit site
Yes, it's the Mountain Riders short leather boots. Reading these replies I'm definately not going to get another pair straight away, I'll look after these carefully & see how they do. I don't mind (much) paying for boots if they're comfortable & last but I can't afford to keep replacing them every few months.

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
See I have them, and I have done my yard work, been to america and worked on a ranch and started my part time job now im back at uni in them, had them about 3 years now..... and Iv sent them to be relined as that has worn out by the ankle but the actual boot is still tip top!
smile.gif

I wouldnt buy a different boot now me thinks!
smile.gif
and they look smart on placement (veterinary) and also when showing in hand!

Nari

Visit site
Well I hope mine are like yours because I can't remember the last time I bought boots that were this comfortable straight away.

Also how do you look after nubuck? Oil, saddle soap?

suzysparkle

Visit site
I've always had the protective jodhpur boots (steel toe capped ones). I used to work as a full time groom and working 6 days a week doing everything in them they lasted about a year. I thought that was pretty good for £55!! I also never treated them with anything - most they ever got was hosed off!! I've found it's always the lining at the back that gives in first. I also have other MH boots and think they are all great but the protective ones IMHO are the best.

Kat

Visit site
If you want your boots to last before the first time you wear them buy a tin of Nickwax and rub this into them well. You might need a second coat on the parts that get most wear. Leave it over night to sink in well.

This will waterproof the leather and protect them prolonging the life. Try to do this regularly, it doesn't need to be every week but at least twice a year. It will be well worth the investment as it will preserve the leather.

Use products that are designed for footwear on your leather boots and they will last longer. Saddle soap etc is not ideal, although oiling your boots does help soften them if you are struggling to break them in.

To get a good shine for shows use Kiwi Parade Gloss, this was recommended by a commissionaire (former army officer) and will get a brilliant shine on your boots.

If you put the nickwax on when the boots already have a good shine it will seal in the shine and make them easier to get and keep shiney in future.

My only problem with mountain horse boots has been the zips going, I think they need to invest in better zips.