Mounted Branch and trimming whiskers

Max123

Visit site
I'm just watching Mounted Branch on Together channel. It is really interesting but I was surprised they completely trimmed off their whiskers. I was always told that was an awful thing to do. Thoughts?

Mule

Visit site
I think some people do it if they're clipping the face. Perhaps there's a reason for it being done with police horses. A poster on this forum,
(red-1) used to train police horses. Perhaps they would be able to tell you.

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think some people do it if they're clipping the face. Perhaps there's a reason for it being done with police horses. A poster on this forum,
(red-1) used to train police horses. Perhaps they would be able to tell you.

Yes, we did trim completely. Long ones get caught up in stuff and it was also about appearance. We had a fair proportion of very heavy horses, and they were trimmed to within an inch of their lives so they looked more like a 'hunter' type. Heels trimmed, beards whiskers, we had one who was fully clipped year round. They were pulled, and a couple that grew bushes instead of a recognisable mane were hogged.

As to being awful, they would find it an irritation if it were the first time they were trimmed, but it never caused an issue afterwards, not that we could tell anyway. Having said that, they were stabled overnight even in summer (for security) so were in a stable (pardon the pun) living condition.

If you are watching that program... I am in episode 10 (the last one)! I was the visiting assessor, assessing their new recruits. Many years and a figurative lifetime ago.

Max123

Visit site
If you are watching that program... I am in episode 10 (the last one)! I was the visiting assessor, assessing their new recruits. Many years and a figurative lifetime ago.

Thanks for your reply Red. I'll keep an eye out for you. I stumbled across it last week only. It is so interesting. I always thought police horses were robotic but they really are full of personality and can be as naughty as any. I guess anything done well looks easy. Incredible that some of them come from Rescues. I was also surprised that some of the riders were riding less than a year. You wouldn't want to end up decked in public but presumably it happens and is on youtube before you get a chance to remount.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Intetestingly, it's been illegal in Germany for a long time. Ears too.

Mule

Visit site
Yes, we did trim completely. Long ones get caught up in stuff and it was also about appearance. We had a fair proportion of very heavy horses, and they were trimmed to within an inch of their lives so they looked more like a 'hunter' type. Heels trimmed, beards whiskers, we had one who was fully clipped year round. They were pulled, and a couple that grew bushes instead of a recognisable mane were hogged.

As to being awful, they would find it an irritation if it were the first time they were trimmed, but it never caused an issue afterwards, not that we could tell anyway. Having said that, they were stabled overnight even in summer (for security) so were in a stable (pardon the pun) living condition.

Is there any particular breed that the police use?

fburton

Visit site
Long ones get caught up in stuff and it was also about appearance.
If getting whiskers caught causes discomfort or distress to the horse, trimming them is perhaps the lesser of two evils. Perhaps the long ones could be shortened to stop them getting caught in whatever they get caught in?

On the other hand, I don't think appearance should even be a consideration in this case. Would it be so awful if the horses looked a bit too "natural"?

Just my opinion.

Red-1

Visit site

Thanks for your reply Red. I'll keep an eye out for you. I stumbled across it last week only. It is so interesting. I always thought police horses were robotic but they really are full of personality and can be as naughty as any. I guess anything done well looks easy. Incredible that some of them come from Rescues. I was also surprised that some of the riders were riding less than a year. You wouldn't want to end up decked in public but presumably it happens and is on youtube before you get a chance to remount.

There were 2 assessors, Sergeant and myself. Was only told the day before that I would have 3 cameras in my face all day! They even filmed me giving feedback through the little office window. PR work was part of my work then, so it had to be done. I saw it once, OH never watched it right through, then he deleted it :eek:

I am recording it again and will tell him to leave it on the planner this time.

Ours was a smaller department that GMP, we only had 16-18 horses and because of that were under a greater time barrier. Our riders had a 16 week course (which was the basic course) and could well be at football the very next day. This would, of course, be on a reliable horse!

The horses had to go visit a football match on the one months trial period :eek:

Not to be actually 'Policing' it, but to see how tolerant of crowds the horses were. That could be a very intense month, as often the horses were very green! After this they were out into a training program.

I did write a series of magazine articles about training the horses and riders, and when someone asked even linked to a copy of the articles, but then got a forum infraction for advertising!

I have many clips of myself on YouTube, but thankfully none sitting on the floor ;)

Red-1

Visit site
Is there any particular breed that the police use?

We had up to 4K for a horse, and a lot of the time there was a 17hh minimum height. That was a challenge as the horse had to pass a stringent vetting and be ready to visit football within a month. I did have one given 6 weeks, as when I went to try him it turned out he had never been hacked and had never cantered with a rider on his back.

We therefore bought what we could! Often it would be a 4yo ID or IDX, or Shire X, or Clyde X, we had a pure Cleveland Bay, some warmbloods. Whatever would be big enough, strong enough and forgiving enough.

We did also buy some horses who had 'got topside' of their riders, usually given away by the running martingale, curb bit and flash/X noseband! They may have more experience but could take longer to un-train them from the bad habits.

I liked a horse with a bit of substance, rather than a TB type. But not too wide, I may be sat on it for 8 hours straight!!!

Red-1

Visit site
If getting whiskers caught causes discomfort or distress to the horse, trimming them is perhaps the lesser of two evils. Perhaps the long ones could be shortened to stop them getting caught in whatever they get caught in?

On the other hand, I don't think appearance should even be a consideration in this case. Would it be so awful if the horses looked a bit too "natural"?

Just my opinion.

I guess the way to change stuff is to get in there...

I did change an awful lot of stuff in my 20 years in Mounted, but TBH hair on faces was not a top priority!

I guess the Windsor Greys and Household Cavelry horses were also trimmed up. As a Police Horse, we were on parade in the public eye every day, and were turned out traditionally.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
It's now illegal to trim muzzle and ear hair on horses in a lot of places. What, exactly, are the hairs supposed to get caught in?

Red-1

Visit site
It's now illegal to trim muzzle and ear hair on horses in a lot of places. What, exactly, are the hairs supposed to get caught in?

It was for the public order chains that they wear for public order situations (in case people cut the leather reins - a lose horse in a violent crowd situation is not something you wish to see). Obviously the chains have to be loose enough to allow the head down to drink, to regain balance and to rest in a lowered position (they are fixed to the bit at one end and the saddle at the other as we already had 2 sets of reins, a baton, a radio and whatever else I our hands). Sadly when in motion they could then be a bit active! It is also tradition, especially for parades etc.

We would also have the throat lashes tight enough to prevent the bridle being pulled off, people have tried many times to grab the bridle and pull it off in a crowd, and we didn't always have time to plait it in.

Of course, the Police believing in the law, if ever it become illegal in this country not to cut whiskers, then they will no longer be cut, along with the military parade horses.

My 'home horse' sports a good set of whiskers, work horses were without. Every situation is different.

Red-1

Visit site
On the bright side, referring to the other recent thread....

I did once find a 'drug den' made of a gazeebo cover tied in the trees, when I was out on my own. Police Horse Dennis (stable name) was happy to let me use him (tip toes in shortened stirrups)to reach the ties to take it down from the trees, drag it out of the woods and tie it up somewhat so he could pack it home (pack horse style)!

It became a training aid for the others.

Being as gazeebos are training aid of the week on HHO :D

ETA - Dennis was also featured in H&H about 7 years ago when we were subject of fireworks being thrown. They burned my helmet visor, my coat pocket, Dennis' mane and also his fetlock. He did not flinch, even though the heat of the fireworks (a string of bangers that leaped in the air as each one exploded next to us) was incredible, but we could not step sideways as there were buses in the flow of traffic. We only got a two-liner, no names, but it was at least a mention!

Last edited:

BBP

Visit site
I love stories like this. Police horses are incredible. Having got caught up with the alcohol fueled obnoxious FA cup final crowds last weekend I find it incredible that a creature as sensitive as a horse can work in that environment.

LaurenBay

Visit site
Red-1 - keep the stories coming, I am loving them! I had no idea you were a mounted police officer. I have the upmost respect for you and the rest! the Horses are just outstanding.

When I was at Writtle, we had an ex police Horse. A big Shire X, cannot for the life of me remember his name. He failed his police training as was supposedly terrified of children's buggies.

Red-1

Visit site

I got the program wrong, I am on tomorrow on Sky channel 173 at 11pm, assessing in Mounted Branch. Yes, the big, bad assessor. At the time it was shown over and over on Animal Planet. I was astonished how many people saw me and recognised me from the telly! I don't suppose that will happen this time, though, as I am now considerable older, wider, wrinklier and have short, greying hair!!! I think it is actually no 13 or something.

wren123

Visit site
I got the program wrong, I am on tomorrow on Sky channel 173 at 11pm, assessing in Mounted Branch. Yes, the big, bad assessor. At the time it was shown over and over on Animal Planet. I was astonished how many people saw me and recognised me from the telly! I don't suppose that will happen this time, though, as I am now considerable older, wider, wrinklier and have short, greying hair!!! I think it is actually no 13 or something.

Oh I've just set my sky to record this, looking forward to it!