Mounting block tips

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Hi,

Does anyone have any tips for training pony to stand nicely at the mounting block? She’s great if I have a treat to hand but I don’t want to be dependent on treats! She’s also fab to stand if I get up from the ground so I think it’s a case of her never being taught properly.

She’ll stand perfectly until i get on the mounting block where she’ll then step backwards. At the moment I move her back to where she was before, wait for her to settle, give her a scratch and praise and try again. She does eventually get it but it’s taking 10-15 mins. Is it a case of repetition?

Thanks!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If giving her a treat works for now, continue to do that for now, gradually make the time between you settling in the saddle longer. YOu are right she has obviously never been taught properly, so you need to do that. Consider the treat as your tool for rewarding her, gradually reward her with a treat and a neck rub/wither scratch and then eventually you will be able to just reward her with a scratch/rub but you will have to go through the training process.
Training is a process of repetition

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
If giving her a treat works for now, continue to do that for now, gradually make the time between you settling in the saddle longer. YOu are right she has obviously never been taught properly, so you need to do that. Consider the treat as your tool for rewarding her, gradually reward her with a treat and a neck rub/wither scratch and then eventually you will be able to just reward her with a scratch/rub but you will have to go through the training process.
Training is a process of repetition

Thank you! Will give that a go ☺️

lauracwd2

Visit site
What worked for me was getting on and off a lot! Mine was the same, he'd never been taught to stand so I just spent whole sessions standing at the block, getting on the block, getting off the block, walking round, standing again, then getting on, then immediately off and back on, then maybe walking round the school and getting off then back to the block to get on. Did that every day for a few days and he now stands rock still at any block even if I walk away he'll just wait til I come back and get on. The key is consistency so while you are training be very clear in the rules and don't allow any creep or boundary pushing.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I use a portable mounting block and tie my horses up to mount at the very beginning, then progress to not tieing and mounting at different places and from different objects. If they are uncooperative, I also get off and on a lot. They soon learn.

BOWS28

Visit site
I use a portable mounting block too. She used to have a habit of spinning her bum away from the block as i went to get on. Now i make her stand, take up the reins and ask her to bend her head and neck away from me while i get on. This way, her bum can't go in the same direction as her head and neck and she stands sweetly 99.9% of the time :p For the first couple if times, reward with a treat once you're on board with loads of praise and a big pat/scratch. (always feed the treat the opposite side to the side you get on, otherwise you may find an unwanted face asking for premature treats!) Then after they get the hang of it, leave out the treat and continue with the praise. Eventually, they understand that its much easier to stand. The quicker they let you on, the quicker they can get back to that big lush haynet!!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The Beast had a fun trick of side stepping at speed over the mounting block and swiping you off when we first got her. Cheeky madam. Lol. We used treats. She's as good as gold now. Repetition. Progress in small increments. We started with a ground helper giving several treats during the getting on process and now can get on alone and she just gets one treat once all settled in the saddle. The next step would be reducing the treats so it's not every time but someone else can persuade my husband not to give his precious baby horse a treat every time. Lol.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Mmmmmm..... personally, BEFORE you look at any other "remedy", I'd investigate any pain issues such as back, teeth, or saddle-fit.

I bought a "project" mare last October, she'd been regularly used in a RDA centre prior to me buying her, but when I led her up to the mounting block, she'd immediately start swishing her tail and moving away from me every time I put my foot in the stirrup.

I acted on a hunch, and asked my physio to take a look in the first instance; turned out that mare had considerable difficulties with her sacro-iliac area - after treatment and rest, the issue was resolved. Also before she came back into work I got the saddle fitter out just to check things were OK, as well as asking the physio to return just to check her out, for reassurance.

With a mounting issue, I'd ALWAYS think "pain" before assuming the horse is being difficult or "naughty". If the horse is "saying" loud and clear they don't want anyone climbing on their backs, then there will be a reason for it. Always worth a check! Might be well worth it in the long run, coz the last thing you want is a horse being ridden with a pain issue underlying, and bad habits thus developing.

Hallo2012

Visit site
ditto above in that i would want to know that pain wasnt an issue first.

i personally wouldn't use bribery as its not often a lesson learnt long term ....what has worked for me and several clients is that each time they fidget move them in 5/6 small and quick circles then back to block and ask to stand.

rinse and repeat for every fidget.

you are in essence making standing still easy and fidgeting hard work, the penny drops quickly IME

Cowpony

Visit site
Mine has this habit too and I have used the treat once mounted technique. She's been fine for months (apart from at shows when she gets herself so stressed she won't stand unless somebody is by her head), but then a couple of weeks ago she started it again. I got the saddle fitter out, who made a couple of tweaks, and she's fine again now. The change was immediate.

TPO

Visit site
Guy Robertson and Joe Midgely have videos about not only training your horse to stand while mounted but how to move up to the block themselves. Richard Maxwell also teaches this but you have to pay for his videos. Joe definitely has this on his facebook page and Guy has released all his training YT videos for free so I'm sure it'll be amongst that.

I've watched Richard Maxwell teach this to horses in a very short period of time (he's doing another round of demos so if he's visiting near you I highly recommend going to see for yourself).

BOWS28

Visit site
Guy Robertson and Joe Midgely have videos about not only training your horse to stand while mounted but how to move up to the block themselves. Richard Maxwell also teaches this but you have to pay for his videos. Joe definitely has this on his facebook page and Guy has released all his training YT videos for free so I'm sure it'll be amongst that.

I've watched Richard Maxwell teach this to horses in a very short period of time (he's doing another round of demos so if he's visiting near you I highly recommend going to see for yourself).

Another vote for Richard Maxwell. His demos are definatly worth it IMO

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have my own way, using a mobile mounting block. I put it in the centre of an area so I have space.

First off I make sure the horse (with a long rope) will pass from hand to hand while I am on the floor. Once they are mobile I take it to some steps, bit still with a long rope, no intention to mount.

Most will step back and away with their hind quarters. I will use that movement, then reverse so there is space to pass the head from my left to my right, then press on their right hind (usually by pointing at it rather than touching) with my left hand until the quarters straighten up, then pass their heads back to my left, then walk them on straight again. If they line up in an improved way we have a break.

If they don't line up in an improved way I past them round the front again. It is hard work. They will always end up at a good start point, but if they go wrong I don't get excited or mad, I just pass them through the turn, reverse and turn until they are at a good starting point again.

They soon learn that 1. you are not going to get off the block. 2. They are not going to rest until they are in an improved position. 3. Static turns are hard work and standing at the block is preferable.

Once they are lining up with the block perfectly then I will do the same with the reins/stirrups organised. I only do what I think they will take, then have a break, which may just be a stand and scratch or it may mean walking away for a proper break. If they move out of line without permission we just go back to the turn/reverse/turn until they are standing in the right place.

I generally find that they are soon seeing the mounting block and lining up correctly. It is a lot easier than static turns. I don't try to hold them in that place, if they want to move that is fine as we can always go back to the static turns. But they would generally prefer not.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
My new horse was so eager to go out that standing for me to mount did not happen. I spent weeks walking her backwards away from the block, leading her back to it, asking for stand until she realised it was easier to stand and more hassle to move. Accompanied by lots of praise when she stood of course.
Yes, her back, saddle etc were all OK. I had it all checked in my first weeks of owning her.

atropa

Visit site
One of mine used to do this, swing bum away. Her old owner had her 9 years and used to do a leap of faith every time. Everytime she did it I made her circle around the block, making it more work for her to do that than just to stand nicely. Cracked it within about 2 weeks.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I cant think of one Irish horse I have ever bought, and there have been a few over the years that ever stood quietly to mount when they first arrived. But I am surrounded by fantastic young Irish riders who leap onto young newly backed horses as they fly out the yard at speed, not ideal for more mature and less able riders, but very impressive to watch I have to say ;)

I have re-educated all of them with very little trouble - by using much of the above apart from treats, usually just vocal praise and a neck scratch, but also speeded things up with a helper (long suffering OH) standing directly in front and not moving until I am on board and have asked the youngster to move on.

I did have one who was a harder proposition as he would instantly swing away as I went to put my foot in stirrup - so we moved the mounting block alongside a barn wall with just enough room for him to walk in alongside the mounting block - the first couple of attempts to swing away were rather interesting as his ample rump slammed against the barn wall - but needs must and all that - he soon settled down.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Mmmmmm..... personally, BEFORE you look at any other "remedy", I'd investigate any pain issues such as back, teeth, or saddle-fit.

I bought a "project" mare last October, she'd been regularly used in a RDA centre prior to me buying her, but when I led her up to the mounting block, she'd immediately start swishing her tail and moving away from me every time I put my foot in the stirrup.

I acted on a hunch, and asked my physio to take a look in the first instance; turned out that mare had considerable difficulties with her sacro-iliac area - after treatment and rest, the issue was resolved. Also before she came back into work I got the saddle fitter out just to check things were OK, as well as asking the physio to return just to check her out, for reassurance.

With a mounting issue, I'd ALWAYS think "pain" before assuming the horse is being difficult or "naughty". If the horse is "saying" loud and clear they don't want anyone climbing on their backs, then there will be a reason for it. Always worth a check! Might be well worth it in the long run, coz the last thing you want is a horse being ridden with a pain issue underlying, and bad habits thus developing.

When I bought her she was checked by the vet, dentist, physio and saddler. She has had dentist every 6 months, physio every 3 and saddler as and when needed since, but never longer than 6 months (last saddle check was a week ago) so I am happy it is not pain.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I have lots to work on!

MDB

Visit site
Clicker training, plus treats, working toward the point whe you only reward once onboard, with feet in the stirrups and ready to go. I had to start my mare off with standing still as the step was put by her side as she wouldn't tolerant that. Then slowly, slowly build up from there. It didn't take long. About 15 mins of work each, over 2 or 3 days.