Mounting woes!

Solo1

Visit site
How do you persuade a 4 y.o that getting on is very important BEFORE we set off?!

I can get off in the middle of a session and scramble on with reins like washing lines and pony stands stock still, watching amusedly so it's not a pain thing.

It's more a 'I have tack on let's go!' sort of thing. I get halfway over and she rushes off, usually leaving me hopping alongside or scrambling out of control, at which point she trots! I currently have to have a handler standing holding her head and feeding her a slice of carrot or something which is not ideal at all...

Any magic ideas? It's such a peculiar habit, surely it would happen all the time and not just when I first get on?!

Sparkles

Visit site
Copied from a previous post I replied too sorry! Lazy I know. Change he to she lol.

Have someone at his head, stand him next to a wall/fence. Lean weight into the stirrups both sides - whilst still on the ground. Keep the weight on them if he moves - person at head will block him going forwards by just standing there. Do this on both sides until he doesn't fidget. Praise.

Then, put one foot in the stirrup, and just stand in the stirrup with the one foot. Don't get on properly. Remain standing like that until again, he stops fidgeting. Do this quite a few times, on both sides and just keep repeating till he stands. Praise.

Then once he stands for the above, when you're standing in the one stirrup, quietly swing your leg over so you're sitting on him properly. Again, stay for a few seconds, praise, and get off again once he's stood quietly. Do this both sides, until he stands. Praise. Finish off.

And just keep doing it, they figure it out quickly.