moving a 2yr old a long distance

Allie5

Visit site
So looking to move a 2yr old from the stud he was born at to another part of the country. Sat Nav says 8 hours at 40mph. My own view (having used them before) is to get Gillies to move him. The lorry is much more comfortable, he will have company, an easy trip with a nice overnight stay.*
The financial backer in this endeavour feels that since we will be buying a trailer anyway we should just go and get him ourselves saving just over £400. Financial party is not in the slightest horsey and thinks Im just being awkward for wanting to use Gillies. I don't know what to do as we can't afford to do both so its either use Gillies and wait until after wedding to buy trailer or buy trailer and go fetch him ourselves. Getting him ourselves I am insisting on an overnight stop. I think 8 hours is just too long for a young horse alone in a trailer for the first time.
So wwyd?

meandmyself

Visit site
Honestly, given good driving, stops for water and hay in front of them, they usually travel quite well. I wouldn't unload- you might having problems getting him back on for day two.

Depending on the trailer, you could take the partition out to give him more room. The trailer will give him more room than the box anyway.

flying solo

Visit site
Personally I'd use Gillies, he's young, it's a long way and to be alone with all the strange noise of the roads etc would make me want to give him company and make it as stress free. I am a complete worrier and panic over the slightest thing though! x

LittleWildOne

Visit site
I bought a 2yo New Forest pony last May, transporting her up to Scotland, from a place called Ashlett Creek (right on the south coast, beside The Solent). I decided that travelling her in a lorry would be less stressful (fully enclosed and less noise from other traffic) for such a long journey. She had never travelled before in her life.
I used a transporter called Gavin Jamieson (got a cheaper quote from him than from Gillie ;)).
She loaded without any problems into his 4 horse Oakley, travelled quietly, and reloaded the next morning without a problem after an overnight stop near Penrith. She was picked up at 7.30am on the Thursday, and arrived with me (near Edinburgh) at 10am on the Friday morning. Although a little tired after her very long journey (it's about 500 miles, but would have been longer with other stops to pick up/drop off horses en route), she arrived with me totally relaxed and as if she was a seasoned traveller.
I'd personally go for a lorry, especially for a youngster's first long journey, and buy your trailer later :).

Allie5

Visit site
Im def leaning more towards having a transporter bring him up. I just think its less stressful for everyone!

kippen64

thinkingabouthorses.blogspot.com.au
I always get my horses transported long distance by a professional horse transporter. In Australia, it's practically like bus routes with race horses going here, there and everywhere. Most of them are worth more money than any horse I'll ever own. (Different story when they stop being good enough to transport to races.) So these are people with a lot of experience and with the equipment to do it.

LittleWildOne

Visit site
Im def leaning more towards having a transporter bring him up. I just think its less stressful for everyone!

Definitely less stressful, and VERY EXCITING waiting for the lorry to pull into your yard.
Gavin kept in touch throughout my pony's journey. It was the most exciting thing ever when I saw his lorry turn in at the end of the drive. Brought a lump to my throat too.
Oh, and a lorry is more stable on the road than a trailer. I had visions of my filly being scared of seeing other lorries hurtling up behind her and whooshing past on the motorway, if she had travelled in a trailer.
(Cost was just over £300 ;)).

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Agreed, it is too long a journey, and you have no worries as a good transporter will have no hitches, and he will have company.
Even if you have your own trailer, you have to allow for wear and tear plus feed and accommodation for all concerned.

Allie5

Visit site
Gillies brought my last horse up from the same stud. It was the most amazing thing! This huge lorry squeezed into my 21 stable yard. It was like a ufo landing when the ramp came down! My little yearling strolled down the ramp happy as you like! I think the trailer will have to wait, the more and more I think about it the less attractive moving him ourselves seems!