Moving a horse from London to Scotland

Thesnowbones

Visit site
How easy would this be? I have recently had to put my beautiful thoroughbred down due to a tumour and I feel that I'm ready to buy another. However, I am moving to Scotland in September and would need to transport the horse. Is it worth waiting? What would you recommend?

Shay

Visit site
You can transport a horse to Scotland. Horses get to go anywhere now! I would suggest using a professional transport company rather than doing it yourself - simply because the drive is so long. But it is absolutely do-able. When we were in BS Ponies kids from our areas (Surrey) used to routinely travel to shows in Scotland. It took 2 days to drive there (and 2 back again) but absolutely do-able. A friend recently took her horse to Spain with her for a couple of months for a riding camp she was teaching at. 4 days international transport each way and he bounced off the lorry both sides.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Livig as I do in the Highlands of Scotland, I wouldn't sell many ponies if transport was difficult. The last three were sold 'mail order'. and one previous to that went to Germany. BUT I really wouldn't want to do it on my own, not least because there are regulations. Try Eric Gillie. All you need is the money, passport, and the horse with a head collar and lead rope!:)

Regandal

Visit site
To transport from Essex to North Fife was around £350 as fw says. Two overnight stops. Gillies are first class, seeing the blue and cream lorry arrive with a new horse must be the best feeling in the world!

wills_91

Visit site
Roland Holmes is another option. He's moved mine for me and couldn't fault the service. Plus I don't think he is as pricey as Gillies.

Northern Hare

Visit site
GILLIES GILLIES GILLIES!

They are great - reliable, cost effective and they look after your horse as though it is one of their own.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Roland Holmes is another option. He's moved mine for me and couldn't fault the service. Plus I don't think he is as pricey as Gillies.

Yes he's a lot nicer than our local Gillies driver who may as well be moving concrete blocks for all his interest in the load. They get hay with Roland as well. I've used both numerous times for long hauls and Roland is much more approachable and keeps in touch more than the bare minimum etc.

wills_91

Visit site
Yes he's a lot nicer than our local Gillies driver who may as well be moving concrete blocks for all his interest in the load. They get hay with Roland as well. I've used both numerous times for long hauls and Roland is much more approachable and keeps in touch more than the bare minimum etc.

I found this as well, the reason why he is now my first choice :)

HelenS

Visit site
I moved my youngster from Lancashire to Argyll last June using Eric Gillie. Trip was taken over 2 days and I could not fault them. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again in the future. It cost somewhere around £350 if I recall.

wills_91

Visit site
I moved my youngster from Lancashire to Argyll last June using Eric Gillie. Trip was taken over 2 days and I could not fault them. Wouldn't hesitate to use them again in the future. It cost somewhere around £350 if I recall.

Hello fellow Argyll HHmember!